Chapter 23- The Rescue

You and Jasper walked down the street with a pack of dogs following. Spinel had just left to fetch the others, so hopefully it wouldn't take much longer. Jasper was very quiet, it was normal, but you still wanted to talk. The two of you had finally become closer,

"So, how do you like the shed now that it's a little bigger and better?"    Jasper grunts with a shrug of her large shoulders,    "It's pretty good."    You subconsciously grin. Hopefully this meant she would stay for a long time. Jasper changed the subject before you could continue it though,    "So what are we gonna do with these mutts?"

You elbow her and cock your head back to look at the group,    "We take them to the shelter.."

Jasper didn't seem to follow.

"Then what?"

You felt a hint of uncertainty from her words. You just repeated your solution to this situation    "There's a shelter, they'll be safe at the shelter."

From there it all went silent and the two of you continued to walk.

--

A few minutes later the sound of familiar voices called out.

You turned to the direction of the calls, and Jasper protectively stood in front of you.

It was of course the gems. You step forward and wave your arms saying,    "Stop, calm down."

The group started slowing down.

Steven and Spinel were the first to reach your side. Stevens' eyes became starry and he gasped at the sight of 15 dogs following you and Jasper.

You were surprised when Jasper nodded to Steven,    "Greetings, My Diamond."

Steven rolls his eyes and gives you a look that says, 'I don't like ths, but I can't control her.'

You pat his shoulder and turn the focus to the lost dogs.

"We have to help these guys."

Steven nodden and kneeled down to one of the dogs and happily petted it,    "Well, they seem nice, but there's so many.. Where did they come from?"

You shrug,    "No idea, I just walked outside, and saw these guys in the road."

Steven stands back up and you cross your arms at a realization,    "Why aren't you wearing your jacket? It's cold out."    Steven laughs and nervously shifts,    "Well, Spinel kind of rushed us out, so I didn't have time to grabb it. I'll try and get it later."    You rub the bridge of your nose in frustration,    "Fine, just don't get sick."    Steven laughs, and replies jokingly,    "Yeah, I'll make sure of that."

Amethyst then picks up a smaller dog.    "This one's cute."

You look over and notice that it's a puppy, possibly six months.

"Woah, wait."

You walk over and look at the pup. It's a german shepherd, possible mix of another breed, but you couldn't be sure. It was a male, and hadn't been fixed. No collar either. He was small and was very shaky. He must have high anxiety.