Chapter 29- One Day

"A dark blue square?"

Spinel continued to prod at the cube in confusion. Steven awkwardly laughed. "No... actually... uh, here let me show you."

Steven gently took the 'cube' and.. Opened it.

Inside was a beautiful shiny ring.

Spinels eyes lit up at how pretty it was. 

"It's an engagement ring!" Steven said with a nervous sweat. 

Spinel's face fell, she looked confused. Steven stood there feeling like a deer in headlights, Spinel squinted her eyes, "What's that mean?"

Steven began to internally panic, was she not ready? Did she even know what marriage was? Were you even ready?

Steven nervously laughed again.

"Well..... Oh gosh how do I say this in a way that isn't confusing?"

Spinel continued to look him in the eyes with the look a lost dog gives a stranger.

"Uhhhh... engagement rings are something you give to your partner when you want to marry them. Do you know what marriage is?"

Spinel's face shifted so fast as she realized what he meant. Her cheeks turned a vibrant red and her voice cracked a little when she spoke, "Yeah! I know what it means.... Um.. look Steven you're a really cool guy and I like you a lot!-- but I'm kinda taken and I don't like you.. uh.. that much--"

Steven waves his free hand around and his face is scarlet, "No, no, no, no, no-- That--That's not what this is!" Spinel quirks a brow as Steven continues, "This is about you and my sister!"

Spinel blushes again in embarrassment, "Oh.. of course... haha... duh."

Steven takes deep breaths and he does his best to keep the atmosphere cool, "So... you know what marriage is?" Spinel nods her head, Steven sighed in relief, that made this much easier for him. "That's good.. Now do you know how to propose?" Spinel's face went blank again, "No..?"