1.4

"He's here..."

Iori and his older brother stood far away from the guests in the funeral room. Sasaki-san's husband and son were standing at the front to greet the incoming guests who were attending the funeral.

Their black and white attire took their sad expressions away, his older brother did not seem sad at all. No one could blame him, with his dementia there was no knowing what he would remember. The teen was not sad because of the family of the late Sasaki-san had to be sadder than him.

He was just repeating the same action. The action he took when he was a child. When his late parents died in the hospital. Just like before, when someone he loved died he just glances away from them for a second.

The space in the funeral room was not big, they didn't have enough money for a large reception. The teen loved to see everyone doing their own thing, while others do the things they were tasked with. The teen himself did not have a job during the funeral, except for taking care of his older brother.

"There he is."

"He's the child?"

"Yeah."

"Ungrateful brat."

It seemed that the guests' gossip was all about the same topic; him. Iori didn't mind at all; in fact, it was normal to be seen as weird for him, who was not even sad about the death of his stepmother.

Instead, as the teen kept his head hung low, he faced floor while hugging his older brother. They did not separate, not even for a second since they had arrived at the funeral. The teen was scared that his older brother might leave him too. Just like how everyone seemed to be leaving him at the moment.

While the bad thoughts kept clouding his mind, the whispering of the guests grew louder. The people in the room did not think about what would happen if the teen heard them. That was what they wanted. They wanted the teen to feel the pressure. For his patience to snap and risk the funeral.

All they ever think about is how to make fun of others who they think are below them. Truly, marvellous society humans live in. Where they grow older and older until there's nothing left of them.

"Take a breather. I'll handle this."

Someone tapped his shoulder once and instantly the teen looked upwards to see the one who is able to touch him. The solemn look on his face gave him away as the person chuckled before pushing him off towards the door with his older brother.

That person was none other than the son of the late Sasaki-san and he was smiling while he watched both the teen and his older brother looking at him as if he had grown a second head. The man only ignored them, before sending a reply through his eyes before glancing to his father at the side of the door, greeting the guests.

"It's enough for you to come to the funeral. Thank you."

The silent thought warmed the teen's heart. He nodded his head before walking straight to the garden near the funeral room. He may as well take a breather there while he watched his older brother playing alone.

Outside of the building, he glanced up at the sky. The beautiful blue and calming breeze of the wind, it was different than his parents funeral. Though, Iori was happy the funeral was not like how his parents' was.