Chapter 30: Just Today

⚠️ :):

February 20, 2019
6:00 pm

"The man who was kidnapped a few weeks ago who was in his late 50s or early 60s was found dead today by a passing civilian at downtown Seoul with his limbs dismembered, fingers and toes missing, and a slit throat. The police are now searching for the culprit who dodge every CCTV camera around the area," the news anchor stated in a monotone voice as she looks in front of the camera, her eyes shifting to the side every once in a while to read the information. "If you see any man who seems suspicious, please call the police. Do not approach any suspicious men. I repeat, do not approach."

(Y/N) stares at the bright plasma screen of the television. She was just walking back from Chungha's place and the news from an electronic store caught her attention. The news rolls over her like an old war tank, slow and painful, carrying on as if nothing happened thereafter since it was just another murder— although the news anchor's voice was monotone, (Y/N) delve in closer to her physical stance and the way the anchor's eyes were filled with worry and anxiety.

A few civilians gathers around (Y/N) to watch the news.

"I heard he was nicknamed as the Boogeyman," one of them commented.

"Well he isn't exactly the Boogeyman," another added.

"That's right... a Boogeyman is a mythical creature who punished children who misbehaves. This killer is cunning, destructive, and had premeditated all of his killings and the Boogeyman is far less ruthless than this one. You could say... that this killer is the one you send to fucking kill the Boogeyman." (Y/N) finishes, earning a couple of stares with awe from the civilians.

The news anchor had showed a brief picture of the damaged victim and it was enough for (Y/N) to pry her eyes off the plasma screen, her hands gripping her handbag, and walked away.

'The wrists only consists of 8 small bones that connects to two long forearm bones and the killer had the audacity to pick each one of it out— leaving the victim's skin to keep its hand still attached to the body like a piece of saggy cloth,' (Y/N) thought.

"Terrible isn't it?" A familiar voice filled (Y/N)'s ears. (Y/N) turns around, her eyes widening. "That murderer."

Yoongi.

"Yoongi! It feels like we haven't see each other for so long!" (Y/N) rushes to hug the boy, trapping him in the warmth of her arms. She dug her head at the crook of his neck, smelling his familiar soothing scent from days, maybe even weeks, that she smelled before. "And mmm, it is terrible."

"I saw you looking at the tv while driving and since I haven't seen you, I decided to stop b-by," his facade of putting an exciting tone slipped. The boy forces a painful smile that pricked his skin. "So anyways... what do you think about that killer?"

"Why are you so curious?"

"Just answer the question (Y/N)..." Yoongi chuckles.

"Fine," (Y/N) snickers. "He's a merciless and calculating killer... from the victim's wounds is enough of an information for me that it isn't his first time to commit a murder. He was torturing that victim because he bestowed him wounds that are so painful, but wouldn't be enough to kill. He's educated, intelligent, and disposing the body in a densely populated area wasn't a mistake; he wanted people to see it. He wanted to make a statement... a statement to someone— maybe to one or two people, a warning to never cross his path ever again."

"Interesting," Yoongi nodded his head. "Hey (Y/N)... would you like to come to my house again? I kind of..." I really "... miss you."

"Sure," (Y/N) answered. "I have nothing to do anything today anyways and meeting up with an old friend of mine isn't a bad idea."