Chapter ten

Chapter ten: Don't let me go.

***

"There's no Aaron, huh?" Chase smirked as we took a seat in the diner.

"There was, but we broke up ages ago," I licked my lips. "I... I don't know why I lied."

"Me neither," he shrugged. "You could've just told me to back off."

"I lied when we were at school," I mumbled.

"Why?" He asked.

"I don't know," I shrugged.

"You were going to kiss me back, weren't you?" He asked, looking into my eyes.

"When?"

"Earlier, when I almost kissed you," he whispered.

"Why are you whispering?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"I felt like it," he shrugged. The waiter appeared at our table, and asked if we were ready to order.

"I'll take the chicken strips with the diner fries, and vanilla milkshake," I ordered. I know, simple as fuck.

"What she's having, but instead of vanilla milkshake, can I have a Mountain Dew?" Chase looked at the waiter.

The waiter nodded as he wrote it down, we thanked as he went to give the cook our order.

"I'm going back to play football with the team," Chase said randomly.

"That's nice," I smiled. "I'm still looking for a talent."

"You're good at football as well," he narrowed his eyes at me.

"Yeah, I know," I looked down. "You'd think it's 2020, that the sexism should've stopped by now; but no, our school decided to cancel the girls' team."

"Tryout for the boys' team," he shrugged. "I'd help you get in."

"Really?" My eyes lit up.

Yes, I am talking about American football. They used to let us, girls, play American football, but some shitty school reported us, so they had to cancel the girls team. Even when the girls were upset about it, no one did something about it. We had to protest, but I was the only girl who wanted to stay.

"I'll talk to the couch tomorrow," he said. "We'll see."

"Thanks," I mumbled.

***

We were in the car, and it was quiet. Good quiet. No one was talking, the music playing gave me goosebumps, until he talked.

"Remember when we used to go to the lake?" Chase randomly asked.

"I don't like where this conversation is going," I groaned, because I knew what he wanted to do.

"You're right," he nodded. "We are going there."

"Oh no," I whined.

"Oh yes," he smirked.

***

I got out of the car with a scowl on my face, he held my hand as he led me inside the lake. We stopped in front of the lake, and our hands were still intertwined. I looked down at our hands, and slowly tried to let go. He noticed, and he squeezed my hand not one time, not two times; but three times.

"Don't let go," he whispered. "Don't let me go."

"But I want to let go," I bit my lip. "Remember when you almost threw a plate at me? I said to myself, it's okay he's just mad, I said to myself that it's the last time he treats me that way but no, it was just like the first time, I forgave you. But then, when you started throwing plates everywhere, and... when you told me that you wished that I died with my parents, it fucked me up."

I let the tears fall, ignoring Chase's gaze.

"You knew how to fuck me up, and I promised myself not to fall into your traps again if you ever came back," I looked down.

"I have a lot of things to tell you," he looked down. "But I'm just waiting for the right moment to tell you everything, because what I'm hiding from you can change your life forever."

"Tell me, what are you waiting for?" I gasped.

"Someone threatened me not to," he looked down. "I know I made a lot of mistakes in the past, and I know that I let you down, but trust me; mistakes happen and there is always a reason behind it."

***

What is he hiding?😩

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter!!
Thank you for reading my story! Ily:)