19. "Welcome to the family!"

"Are you sure that this is appropriate?" Draco asked fumbling with his turtle neck in front of the mirror.

"I'm sure," Mione reassured him for the fourth time that evening 

"It's not too over the top?" He looked at himself critiquing his outfit for the night. 

"Draco, you're an international household name. Whatever you wear would be fine." 

"I don't want to be the international household name tonight."

Hermione smilingly tiptoed to kiss him. "I promise you that you will be seen as both father and a lover."

"Muuuuum." Darcy called from her room

"Coming Drac!" She called back. "Duty calls." She mouthed to Draco before she rushed off to cater to her daughter's needs.

The reality still hadn't dawned on him. He was now a father and devoted lover. He had always thought that his luck had run out. He had resigned to the fact that he would remain childless and partnerless, disappointing his parents, the world but most importantly himself. He had fooled himself into believing that he would have been fine with living the rest of his days as he did before Hermione walked back into his life. He was happy to have been proven wrong. 

"Are you all set to go?" Mione asked as he walked out of the room joining them in the living room

"Where are we headed?"

"Nowhere actually. The portkey's ready when we are."

"Portkey?"

"Come on dad. Didn't they teach you about this stuff in school?" Darcy asked a bit impatient 

"I thought you didn't use magic."

"Only on special occasions." Darcy 

"Oh, I see."

"You have to hold onto us tight otherwise you might end up being stuck here."

"Has that happened to you before?"

"Only once. I let go of Mum's hand for a split second but Aunt Ginny came over for me."

"Ready?"

"Yes, ma'am." Draco saluted as he held Darcy's hand and she held onto her mother's.

He felt a twist in his gut that was over as soon as it began. In the near distance, stood the house he had heard so much about but had never actually seen. Darcy ran off towards the house while both he and Mione strolled. There was a chilly breeze in the air that hinted at the upcoming change in the weather. As they arrived at the front of the house his hold on her hand became tighter.

"Are you okay?" She asked looking up at him

"I think so?" He made it seem like a question.

"No matter their reaction it won't change how I feel about you."

"Their opinion matters does it not?"

"Our relationship isn't defined or relied on the opinion of others."

"I want them to like and accept me."

"I know and it's very cute." She tiptoed and give him a peck on his lips. 

"Now or never." He said as he led the way to the door.

They walked into the house in a single file into one of the most chaotic scenes-apart from the war that is-he had ever witnessed. In the kitchen, Molly Weasley was the captain of the ship barking orders at everyone present. The dishes were washing, the living room was setting itself to right. Multiple children ran through in and out of the house from the garden, Darcy being one of them. There was an unholy amount of food that was finished but more was underway. They must have stood there in the house for five minutes before anyone noticed that they had arrived.