40. New Memories

Blaise had been making progress. The doctors predicted a full recovery. Dr. James had phoned many times to get an update on his condition and he had the most attentive yet aggressive nurses in Monique and Pansy when it suited her.

"Would you stop resisting me and let me give you a shave?" Monique asked for the third time that morning. He was beginning to look like a homeless man and not the well-groomed businessman she knew.

"I'm comfortable like this."

"You haven't seen yourself have you?" She had one hand on her hip and a cordless, electric razor in the other

"No, I haven't"

"If you did you would have been trying to do it yourself," Pansy said as she walked into the room with breakfast in tow 

"Rhaphy's" Blaise smiled as he inhaled the scent. He had been dying for a taste of Raphael's cooking since he had been hospitalized.

"He sends his love," Pansy said as she sat on the sofa across from him turning on the television. They had upgraded his room long ago, allowing all of then to enjoy his long stay.

"Can I have it now?" He asked eagerly 

"Not until you let me cut your hair." Monique bargained

"Fine." Blaise sighed as he got ready to subject himself to the forced grooming. He looked warily at her as the razor came closer to his face, "You know how to use that thing right?"

"Scared Zabini?" Monique smirked

"Not necessarily, I just hope that you know whatever you do, you'll have to be looking at me and your handiwork."

"I used to cut hair for a living Blaise, I know what I'm doing."

"Did you really?"

"I worked at a salon during my final year of high school," Monique replied turning on the machine. The buzzing did nothing to soothe Blaise and his fears. 

"Wait." He said at the last second, Monique sighed and moved away from him.

"You're being incredibly difficult this morning," Monique said her arms crossed

"I think yesterday takes the cake." Pansy said, "Speaking of which, there's a big slice of coconut cream cake in there." She motioned to the bag. Monique grinned as she skipped to the bag pulling out the container that was at the top to reveal the scrumptious and very generous slice of cake. 

"Okay!" Blaise conceded, "Okay, I'll shave, but only if you let me do it myself, my way." 

"Ugh, Blaise you're so old fashioned. Where am I going to get a blade at this hour of the morning?" Monique groaned

"Right here," Draco called from the doorway playing with a blade that was in his hand. All eyes turned  to him

"You're back!" Monique exclaimed with glee

"That I am. You alright over there pal?" Draco chuckled at Blaise who looked at him with wonder. 

"You've been gone a hell of a long time," Blaise said as he took in his form. He showed no sign of injury, that was always good news. 

"I couldn't leave right after the job. Had to stay low didn't I?" Draco said as he passed the blade to Monique

"Job?" Pansy's interest was piqued. Soon after her encounter with the ruffians, Draco had left them to the care of some of his most trusted men. She hadn't heard a word from him since. "What job?" she asked

"Turn on the news, it's all over."

"You mean..." Blaise began but was unable to finish the sentence.