Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 3)

"So you're 100% sure, right?" Lisa asked. "I don't want to break this awful news if we're not completely totally sure that this is the same man indeed."

"I am, Lis. The Korean embassy there had confirmed that it was indeed Kim Byungchul. He was buried in China though. Sending his body back to Korea will unfortunately cost a lot and I don't think the embassy has any plans to exhume him and do that," Chanyeol answered.

She felt sad for the woman she was going to meet. "Okay then. Thanks." She ended the call and just stared at her phone for a second until she felt the gentle wiping of the corner of her mouth. She turned her head and smiled a little, grateful for the small gesture. She took the napkin from Jennie's hand and finished wiping her own mouth.

"Are you okay? What did Sooyoung say?"

"I'm fine." Lisa sighed. "It's confirmed but he was buried over there and there's no plans to bring him here. It cost too much, they said."

Jennie shook her head slightly. "Money. Always money," she muttered under her breath.

Lisa pocketed her phone then crumpled the paper bag on her lap after putting the used napkins in it. She opened the car door and walked to a nearby trashcan to throw it away. She heard another door closing and turned around to see Jennie approaching her. She locked the car with the remote before they started walking down the street.

Jennie reached out for Lisa's hand after a minute of walking in silence.

Lisa turned her head when she felt Jennie's touch. "What is it?" She noticed the somewhat somber look.

"I lived in a similar neighborhood once," said Jennie – eyes looking at the rundown buildings around them. "Before I got involved with... you know." She gulped.

Lisa pulled Jennie closer, their arms now touching as they kept walking. She tightened her hold on Jennie's hand. She knew it was tough for the other girl but she had no words to console her with so she hoped her action could speak for her instead.

Jennie seemed to understand. She smiled a little, squeezing Lisa's hand. "I'm fine. It just brings back memories." She exhaled. "Of my family too."

Lisa knew what that meant. The talk about the family of the missing girl and the neighborhood they were at were reminding Jennie about her mother.

Jennie never spoke much about her parents and Lisa knew why. She never asked because she didn't want to pry. It was a sensitive matter to Jennie; just like Jisoo's brother was to her. They both treaded very carefully with each other in both matters.

They made a turn inside a very narrow alley. Since they didn't let go of each other's hands, Lisa had to walk in front of Jennie because there simply wasn't enough space for the two of them to walk side by side.

They came out to a wider part of the alley with small shabby houses to their right. Lisa checked her phone to confirm the address. "This is it, I think." She finally let go of Jennie's hand to knock on the third door.

It took a minute before they heard shuffling sounds and the lock being twisted open. They bowed politely to the old woman behind the crack of the door.

Lisa took out her badge. "Good afternoon, Mrs Yoon. I am Inspector Manoban Lalisa from the Seoul Metropolitan Police and this is Miss Kim Jennie." She introduced Jennie.

The woman frowned. "Have you found her?"

Lisa shook her head sadly. "Not yet but-..." She stopped talking when the door was shut in her face. She blinked – her eyes wide with surprise. She looked at Jennie who looked as shocked as she was. She took a deep breath then knocked again.