One Step at a Time (Part 18)

"Hello?"

"Please tell me that you're okay?" Lisa said as she rushed towards the car.

"I'm okay, Lili."

"You're not lying to me, right?"

"Of course not. I'm okay." Jennie exhaled. "Joonmyun though..."

"I heard. How is he doing?"

"He broke a leg. He pushed me aside and got hit. It's my fault."

"It's not your fault, okay? None of this is your fault." She pulled the car door a bit too hard and Chaeyoung yelped when the loud bang startled her. Lisa quickly apologized.

"Where are you? What's all the noise?"

"I'm on my way to the train station. I'm coming home. You stay with Chu until I get there, you hear me?"

"I hear you." She wasn't planning on arguing after what happened to Joonmyun.

"Where's Jiyoon?"

"At school."

"Don't go pick her up alone. At least take Jongin with you."

"Chu said she'd come with me."

"Good." Lisa finally exhaled, sinking into the car seat. "I'm sorry for not being there," she mumbled, covering her mouth with her hand to prevent everyone there from hearing her.

"What are you talking about? You were doing your job and I had Joonmyun and the officers with me."

"But still... I made a promise yet-..."

"You didn't break any promise, Lili. You couldn't have prevented this. Don't blame yourself. You said that it wasn't my fault. Well, it's not your fault either. You can't babysit me 24/7, you know. And I don't want to be babysat 24/7 anyway."

Lisa realized that Jennie was right but she just couldn't stop herself from feeling guilty.

"Just come home safely. I miss you."

"I miss you too. I'll see you in a couple hours, okay? Please call me if there's anything? I don't really like finding out from Chaeyoung that you almost got hit by a car."

"I'm okay and I thought you were busy-..."

"I'm never too busy for you. I thought you knew that."

"I do. It's just... I was unharmed and I didn't want to be a burden or a distraction to you and with Joonmyun like that, I just..." Jennie heaved a sigh. "Right. My fault. Sorry." She got the point. If she were in Lisa's shoes, she would have wanted the same thing: to know directly when the person she loved was in trouble.

"It's alright. I'm just glad you're okay. I'll see you in a few hours then."

"Okay. See you. I'm sorry, Lili." She apologized again.

"It's okay."

"Bye then."

"Bye."

Lisa hung up, dropped the phone onto the seat then massaged her temple.

"Is Jennie okay?" asked Chaeyoung from the front seat.

"Yeah. What did Chu say, exactly? Who was the target? Jennie or Joonmyun?"

"I think Joonmyun. Chu said he managed to push Jennie into safety but the car didn't stop. It kept coming after him."

"No license plate? The officers must have seen something?" asked Seulgi.

"They saw the license plate but it was fake, expired, and registered to a totally different vehicle. The windows were tinted and the driver wore a mask so they couldn't see his face," said Chaeyoung. "On the bright side, Chanyeol is up and running again. Or at least walking."