Secrets and Dreams (Part 4)

Jongin heaved a sigh as he closed his tired eyes and leaned back in his seat.

They had been scrutinizing the video but the quality wasn't great considering that they were taken at night.

The station's CCTV recordings were better. They managed to identify a guy who appeared to be stealthily following Himchan since Jeonju. Unfortunately, the man was wearing a baseball cap so they couldn't get a clear view of his face.

They tried to place the unknown man near the crime scene but saw no one with the same description appear in the videos.

Even Himchan was barely captured by the cameras. The only evidence they had about his presence in that area was from the nearby minimart's CCTV that showed him entering the store to buy water and kimbap.

"Can't we ask Sooyoung to enhance this?" said Jennie.

"We can but that will take a while. She's still working on Himchan's clothes," said Seulgi.

"Not anymore," came a voice from behind them.

They turned their heads to see the lab technician standing behind them.

"I just gave my report to Jisoo unnie. What can I do for you?"

"Can you somehow enhance these videos? This man here," Jennie pointed at the screen, "had been following Himchan from Jeonju to Seoul. He probably took the same bus as well. Can you get a glimpse of his face?"

"Or at least identify him somewhere in the street CCTV videos? Those are really bad. We can't make out a thing," added Jongin.

"I'll see what I can do. Will let you know if I manage to find something." Sooyoung quickly left the area, going back to the lab.

"In the mean time, how 'bout we ask Captain about Sooyoung's trace report from Himchan's clothes then have lunch?" suggested Seulgi.

"Good idea!" The assistant inspector was the most eager when hearing the word 'lunch'. He literally jumped up from his seat in excitement.

They went to Jisoo's office, knocked on the open door and greeted the captain.

"I'm guessing you met Sooyoung on her way out?" asked Jisoo.

"Yeah. Did she find any new significant trace evidence on Himchan's clothing?"

"Unfortunately not." Jisoo then handed the folder in her hands to Seulgi. "The forensic team has found what there is to find. The stains on Himchan's clothes were transfers from dirt and stains from the alley as proven by the photographs taken of the alley and based on traces the forensic team collected. Nothing stands out."

"Sooyoung didn't find any transfer fibers besides stains and dirt? From the transport vehicle's carpet or upholstering maybe?" asked Jennie. "I know that there's no tire mark but his body must be dumped there using some kind of transport equipment."

Jisoo shook her head. "Nothing."

"So all we have is rotten food stains and dirt. Great." Seulgi closed the folder then placed it on Jisoo's desk. "No crook is this untraceable. There has to be something we're missing. Not even the most genius of criminals could get away without leaving a single trace evidence."

"Unless it happens at a place equally as messy as the alley. Where all traces are similar and thus making it hard for us to differentiate what comes from where," said Jennie.

"Huh? So you think that he was shot at another, equally messy, alley and dragged all to the way to the alley we found him in?"

"Plausible."