One Step at a Time (Part 10)

"Excuse me, Commissioner. Captain Kim Jisoo is here to see you," the assistant said.

"Send her in."

Jisoo walked inside and bowed to the man behind the large desk.

"Take a seat. Yunho will be here soon," said the Commissioner. "Have you had lunch?"

"Yes. Grabbed something on the way here," answered Jisoo as she took a seat.

"Ah too bad. I was going to share my lunch with you." He lifted a neatly packed lunchbox from under his desk.

"More like making me eat all your lunch. Umma's gonna be angry if you don't eat her cooking, Appa. Did you eat out again?"

He deflated as he set the box back under his desk. "Yes. In my defense, eating out once a week should be allowed. I mean, not that I don't like your mother's cooking but it's kinda... bland." He grimaced as he thought about his wife's many attempts and advices to keep him healthy.

"I'll be home late then. I do not want to hear the long lecture about your cholesterol level or witness the bloody slaughter of a finale," she teased. "I'm afraid that it would affect my view of you as the Commissioner, my superior, to see you so whipped by a mere housewife."

"My daughter the comedian. Ha ha ha. How hilarious," he stated flatly.

Jisoo had to laugh at his expression.

Another knock came from the door and the assistant reappeared. "Senior Inspector Jung Yunho is here to see you, Sir."

"Send him in."

Jisoo stood up and bowed to the man who greeted her and the Commissioner.

"Have a seat and let's get started."

Yunho and Jisoo both sat down and took out their notes.

"I guess you two could guess why I called you here on such short notice," began the Commissioner. "I've released the information on Jo Himchan to Captain Kim and her team," he told Yunho. "Himchan's brother, Chadol, is a person of interest in the case of Ji Seungjin's death. And I think, at this point, we should try to share as much information as we can and try to help each other out. Also, a member of Captain Kim's team was attacked last night."

"Really? Who?" Yunho turned his head towards Jisoo.

"Assistant Inspector Park Chanyeol. His tail lost him for a few minutes when he was at the market and found him unconscious in an alley, beaten. I know it could just be a random incident but I'm not taking any chances so I've alerted the team that's supposed to shadow us," Jisoo said. "Right now, my team is looking into Seungjin's death. Inspector Manoban suspected foul play because what your team found at the last raid seemed too personal for Yongbak."

"But not for Seungjin?"

"He was known to be reckless and had a tendency to get too personal."

"And based on your suspicions, you're now officially investigating his death?"

"Not yet. I'm still waiting for results from my team members who are in Suncheon right now, questioning the people involved. If they find enough information to suggest reasonable doubt, I will submit a request to reopen the case."

"I see. What does this have to do with Himchan then?" asked Yunho.

"Himchan's older brother, Chadol, is one of the nurses in charge of Seungjin's treatment during his stay at the hospital," explained Jisoo. "He could be the one who helped Seungjin fake his death if Yongbak had threatened him. It had happened before, causing his family to move to Seoul and his brother to work for Yongbak."