One Step at a Time (Part 20)

Sooyoung heard voices from inside the conference room and frowned.

"What is going on in there?" she mumbled as she stopped in front of Lisa's desk.

"They're probably discussing this string of attacks on our team," answered Jennie who was sitting on Lisa's chair. "What brings you here?"

"I was just going to tell Jisoo unnie that the results from that doctor's car analysis are valid. Those were bodily fluids they found on the backseat, the DNA can be traced back to both the doctor and a woman that I assume is the hospital director, and that fingerprint is indeed Seungjin's," she told Jennie then turned her head back towards the closed door. "And that I'm almost done processing the evidence from yesterday's incident. How long have they been in there?"

"About half an hour. They wouldn't even let me in."

"Why not?"

Jennie shrugged. "They said it was strictly police stuff, official things, protocol, classified etcetera... they went technical on me. Besides, judging from the sound of it, I think Lili was trying to spare me from hearing her yell."

"They're discussing about what happened yesterday, huh?"

"Yeah. I hope Chanyeol's head won't hurt too much after this."

And right on cue, the door opened and out walked Chanyeol, Jongin and Joonmyun, looking like a funny trio with the tallest holding his head, Jongin with his sling and Joonmyun carefully limping behind him with his crutch. They looked exhausted.

"What happened in there?" asked Sooyoung.

"You don't wanna know. I've never seen Lisa this angry since... Well, I've never seen her this angry, basically," said Chanyeol.

"I have," Seulgi appeared behind the three boys. "And I didn't think I'd see it again."

"What happened? Is she okay?" Jennie spoke, straightening up in her seat.

"She's alright. She's just very upset about what happened and I understand her completely."

"In that case, I'll just wait till things calm down. I'll talk to Jisoo unnie later," said Sooyoung who immediately left the area.

The three assistant inspectors and Seulgi returned to their respective desks, back to work.

Chaeyoung came out next, exhaling loudly. "Scary," she mumbled as she sat down on her chair and slouched. "Very scary Lalisa Manoban."

"What did she say?" Jennie pushed her chair towards Chaeyoung.

Before the tall inspector could answer, both Lisa and Jisoo walked out of the conference room and went inside Jisoo's office, closing the door behind them.

"Let's just say that I'm glad you're okay," answered Chaeyoung. "That shorty would definitely shoot someone if you had gotten hurt."

"Rest assured, you won't be going anywhere without a bodyguard until Seungjin's found," added Seulgi from the desk across Chaeyoung's.

"And you boys also better be more careful from now on. If you get hurt again, your petite noona might go on a rampage," said Chaeyoung towards the quiet three.

Jennie exhaled then pushed her chair back towards Lisa's desk.

--

"So you're thinking... what? That he's not Chadol but Himchan?" Jisoo raised her eyebrows as she sipped her coffee.

They had finished discussing - or venting, in Lisa's case - the attacks and Lisa was telling Jisoo about what she personally suspected after interrogating the doctor and Chadol back in Suncheon.