One Step at a Time (Part 31)

Lisa opened her eyes when she felt something cold on her chest. She wanted to smile when she saw the person sitting beside her bed but the painkillers had worn off and she found herself coughing in pain while trying to inhale normally.

Jennie quickly moved closer, placing one hand on Lisa's cheek to calm her down. The icepack remained on Lisa's chest.

"It hurts, huh?" she asked.

"Just a little."

"It'll be time to take your painkillers again soon so hang in there. Breathe as deeply as you can no matter how much it hurts, okay?"

Lisa nodded then held Jennie's hand. "I'm okay. They're just cracked," she said, referring to her rib injury.

"I'm sorry," mumbled Jennie as she placed a gentle kiss on Lisa's forehead.

"Stop apologizing. It's not your fault. I'm just glad that you're safe."

"Go to sleep. Chu said she'll come explain everything later."

"Bambam too."

"Yeah. He'll be here too." Jennie withdrew her hand then sat back down, watching over Lisa. They were rushed to the hospital as soon as the ambulance arrived on the scene so no one had had the chance to explain anything to them.

"You'll be more comfortable sleeping at home, you know. Or stay at Chu's with Jiyoon. Sleep on a proper bed," she coaxed for the umpteenth time since they arrived at the hospital.

Jennie shook her head firmly. "I'm staying here."

"I'm okay, Nini. You can come back and see me in a few hours."

"No, Lili. I'm staying here."

The door suddenly opened without a sound, cutting their conversation short.

Lisa tried lifting her head to see whom it was and smiled when she saw Jennie's father walk in with a takeaway coffee cup and a paper bag.

He noticed Lisa smiling and bowed to her while placing the cup and the bag on the small table near Lisa's bed for her daughter.

"Mr. Kim..."

Lisa's voice stopped the man from leaving.

"I don't blame you."

The man turned around, bowed again then quietly left the room.

"Talk to him," said Lisa. "He had to do what he did, Nini, and he selflessly tried to switch places with me. Let him explain."

"I'll do that later."

"Do it now. I'm not going anywhere. I can barely breathe," said Lisa. "Go. Talk to him."

Jennie hesitated.

"You're not still mad at him, are you? I know he missed that shot on purpose. One must be blind to aim that badly. And he tried to save me by sacrificing himself. That should count for something, right?"

"Can't I just talk to him after Jisoo's explanation?"

"I think there's a reason why Chu let him stay here instead of at the station. Make use of that."

Jennie took a deep breath then stood up slowly. "Be right back."

She went out of the room to see the man sitting on a bench not far from Lisa's room.

He looked up when someone sat next to him and was clearly surprised to see whom it was.

"Thanks for the coffee and food," said Jennie.