One Step at a Time (Part 23)

The man stood up from his seat when the door opened and in walked Jisoo.

He bowed to her and kept his head down until everyone had entered the room. When he straightened back up and saw Himchan, he couldn't stop himself from expressing his surprise - eyebrows shooting up and eyes round and wide.

"Good morning, Hyung," Himchan calmly said while taking his seat next to Jisoo.

Lisa remained standing behind the captain, leaning against the viewing window.

"Why are you here?" Harang asked as he sat back down. His eyes never left Himchan.

"Complications. So I decided to come clean and help these people," said Himchan. "Well, to cut straight to the chase, I've informed Captain Kim's team about everything so far so why don't you tell them your side of the story?"

Harang shook his head. "You know I can't do that."

"Why not?" Lisa asked. "You attacked my men. Don't you think you owe us at least an explanation? Mr. Himchan said you changed your ways. Prove it."

"Did Himchan tell you why I came back?" he asked Lisa, looking at her with those calm, unaffected eyes.

"Yes."

"Then you know why I can't say another word."

"We can help protect your family," said Jisoo.

The man merely smiled. "I've made bail. I assume I can leave now? You have no reason to hold me any longer."

"Hyung-..."

"Have a good day, everyone." The man pushed his chair back, bowed politely and headed to the door.

"Hyung..."

"Don't worry. You're Chadol, I know," he said without turning his head. His hand was already on the door handle.

"It's not just that, Hyung. Come on. They're willing to help you."

"No one can help me and you know it," said the man before he opened the door and walked out of the interrogation room.

Jongin, Chanyeol and Jennie came into the room soon after.

"That ended too fast for us to even detect anything," said Jennie.

"He looks familiar though," mumbled Chanyeol. "Could have seen him at the market but I can't be 100% sure about it."

"Same here. It was too dark," added Jongin.

"So what now?" asked Lisa. "He won't talk and we don't have enough to go after Seungjin or him."

"We wait while we keep digging," answered Jisoo. "Shin Harang has been put under surveillance. The Commissioner has agreed that this man plays an important role in this case so he has told Senior Inspector Yunho's team to keep a lookout for Harang."

"They sure have their hands full," commented Chanyeol.

"Then why don't we give them a hand?" asked Lisa.

"Not yet, Inspector," answered Jisoo.

Lisa was about to argue when the door was knocked and Sooyoung's head appeared through the crack.

"Am I interrupting anything?"

"No. Come on in," Jisoo replied.

"Found the car that hit Joonmyun." Sooyoung waved a folder in her hand.

"What? How?" Jisoo immediately sat up, walking over to where the lab technician was standing to look at the folder.

"They found an abandoned old Volvo at an empty lot right outside of Seoul that matches the descriptions we put out. It was scratched, dented and most importantly, it had traces of blood on its windshield and inside the bumper. Jennie unnie's shadowing officer's blood, to be exact."