One Step at a Time (Part 29)

Jennie couldn't stay still for more than a few seconds. She kept pacing while staring at her phone, waiting for any kind of news from anyone. Since the team would be busy and would need to focus on their plan to get Seungjin and rescue Jiyoon, she had texted Bambam, asking him to relay updates regarding the operation along with Lisa and Jiyoon's conditions. But there had been no news so far and it left her extremely restless.

The remaining members of the team - Himchan, Seulgi and Joonmyun - were restless too but they knew that it must be at least a thousand times more torturing for Jennie so they tried to act as normal as they could.

Nearly thirty minutes into the excruciating wait, a familiar cheerful giggle suddenly reached Jennie's ear, making her turn around at such speed that the phone in her hand accidentally slipped, landing on the floor with a loud clatter. The back cover fell off, separating from the device thanks to the impact.

Jennie didn't even pay attention to her phone as her eyes widened with shock when she saw Jiyoon walking towards her, looking happy and excited, escorted by a woman in uniform whom she recognized as Officer Ahn.

"NINI!" shouted the girl.

"Oh my..."

She finally snapped out of it and opened her arms, running towards the girl and scooping her into her arms - hugging her tightly.

"You're okay. Thank goodness you're okay," she mumbled into Jiyoon's small shoulder with tears streaming down her face.

Jiyoon's smile disappeared when she heard the sobs. She wriggled free, pushing Jennie back. "Why are you crying?" she asked with a confused expression on her face.

Jennie kissed the girl's cheek over and over again until Jiyoon caught her face and held it by the cheeks.

"Nini..." Jiyoon cutely protested then tilted her head to observe Jennie. She didn't understand what the woman was doing or why she was crying.

"Where were you, Jiyoon-ah?" asked Himchan from behind Jennie since the woman was still too overwhelmed to even say a word.

"With Grandpa."

"Where did he take you? Who brought you here?"

"Grandpa did," answered Jiyoon innocently. "He took me to the amusement park and bought me new clothes!" she said, pointing at the clothes she was wearing. "I rode everything! It was so much fun!"

"Wha... amusement park?" Seulgi remarked in shock.

Jiyoon turned her head when she heard Seulgi and saw the neck brace. "Auntie Seulgi, what is that?" She pointed at the brace.

"Oh it's called a neck brace. Kinda like Uncle Joonmyun's cast but for my neck."

"Oh? You're hurt? Can I draw on it too?"

That made Seulgi chuckle. "I don't think you can draw on this. It's not hard like Uncle Joonmyun's cast and I won't be wearing it for long." Her expression then turned serious as she approached the girl still in Jennie's hold. "Grandpa picked you up from school, didn't he?"

Jiyoon nodded. "Then he took me to the amusement park!"

"I see. Why did you go with him? Why didn't you wait for Lisa or Jennie?"

"He said they had to work and... and... I..." Jiyoon suddenly realized something. She turned her head and looked at Jennie. "Did I take too long at the amusement park?"

Jennie shook her head and hugged the confused girl again.

"A man dropped her off?" Joonmyun was talking to Officer Ahn who had picked up Jennie's phone.