One Step at a Time (Part 8)

Chaeyoung's phone vibrated just as she was about to enter the nurse's station. She checked the caller's name and immediately answered it after walking away to a corner. "Hey. How's Chanyeol doing?"

"He's okay," said Joonmyun. "How's the questioning going? Have you talked to that Jo Chadol nurse?"

"Not yet."

"Oh good because I have some new info on the guy. Result of Chanyeol's talk with his family yesterday."

Joonmyun then proceeded to update Chaeyoung briefly on the family issue, particularly the missing younger brother.

"The Captain has submitted a request to open that sealed file and they're processing it as we speak. We should be able to gain access soon. In the mean time, can you find out more about him?"

"I'll see what I can do. Thanks."

Jongin, who had been watching Chaeyoung the entire time, immediately shot her a questioning look after she had ended the call.

Not willing to discuss this newfound information out loud, Chaeyoung decided to send Jongin a message instead.

"This Jo Chadol has a brother who moved to Seoul to work for Yongbak. Supposedly because he was threatened. That brother is now missing. His case is sealed so we can't do much about it right now. We need to find out more about this brother and his ties to Yongbak. You can be good cop."

Jongin read the incoming message and calmly pocketed his phone without any obvious reaction.

They went back to the nurse's station and saw Sehun talking to a man in his late thirties.

"It won't take long, I assure you," said Sehun to the man.

The young officer then noticed Chaeyoung and Jongin's presence and stepped aside. "Inspector Park, this is Mr. Jo Chadol," he introduced the man.

"How do you do, Sir. I'm Inspector Park Chaeyoung from the Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency," Chaeyoung introduced herself. "And this is Assistant Inspector Kim Jongin." She gestured towards her partner.

"Can we make this quick? I still have a lot of work to do," said the nurse, coldly.

"Of course. Is there anywhere we can talk privately? I wouldn't want to stand in the way of everyone," replied Chaeyoung in a friendly tone.

The nurse started to walk towards a room at the back of a corridor then went inside, followed by the three officers. It was the break room that was thankfully quite empty except for another nurse who was napping on the couch.

"We can talk here." Chadol pulled up a chair and sat down with his arms crossed, looking at the Chaeyoung impassively.

"Okay then." Chaeyoung also took a seat. "We need to ask you a few questions regarding the inmate you treated named Ji Seungjin."

"He died about a week ago," said Chadol with eyebrows raised in question.

"We are aware of that. Could you explain more to us about his treatment or the cause of death?"

"Why don't you ask Doctor Kang?"

"We have talked to him. Now we need your side of the story."

"My side of the story? What is this? Are you suspecting us of foul play? He died because of his injuries."

"Really? That's it? I thought he was stabilized after the surgery?"

"He came out critical and yes, we thought he would recover but his heartbeat dropped all of a sudden and we couldn't revive him on time. End of story."