Secrets and Dreams (Epilogue)

"Jiyoon-ah! Hurry up or you're going to be late for school!" shouted Jennie when the girl took forever to change into her uniform.

"Sheesh. Why are you so loud?" groaned Lisa, appearing at the bedroom doorway with messy hair and eyes squinting at the light.

Jennie ignored the protest as she knocked on Jiyoon's door. "Jiyoon-ah!"

"Alright! Alright! Calm down, Mom!" Jiyoon opened the door and frowned at Jennie before she went to put on her shoes and jacket, sulking all the way. She didn't even greet Lisa when she walked past her.

Jennie merely shook her head, took her purse, gave Lisa a very quick peck on the cheek then left the apartment with the quiet Jiyoon walking ahead of her.

What was that about? Lisa wondered as she went back to bed.

Her leave was almost over and Jiyoon's mood had been okay throughout. She seemed almost like her old self, cheerful and witty. Until today.

Lisa sighed and closed her eyes, hoping to be able to get an extra hour of sleep or two before Jennie returned.

She woke up a couple of hours later to feel a leg draped over her own.

Turning her head, she blinked and saw Jennie asleep next to her.

Lisa moved to lie on her side, pulled Jennie closer and felt her snuggle. "Tired?" she whispered.

Jennie groaned in reply.

Lisa's eyes opened fully. "I'll take that as a yes although I don't know why you're tired. We've been on leave for days, doing nothing but driving Jiyoon around and doing naughty things to each other when she's at school."

That earned her a pinch on the side and she squirmed while laughing out loud.

Jennie lifted her head and looked up, squinting at Lisa.

"You look so unattractive," commented Lisa before she kissed Jennie. "Christmas vacation is coming up. Where should we take Jiyoon this year? Skiing? Or would you rather we stay put? Enjoying freezing Seoul."

"I'm fine either way. You should ask her," mumbled Jennie.

"I think I know what her answer might be. She'd want to stay in Seoul so she could hang out with her friends and that boy."

"I'm not so sure about that," Jennie said as she pulled away and stretched.

"Huh? Why?"

"Didn't you see how she was behaving this morning?"

"Yes but I thought it was puberty kicking in."

"It was puberty related but most importantly, boy related. Overheard her on the phone last night." Jennie yawned and went back to her previous position, snuggling against Lisa.

"Uh oh. Should I get my gun?"

"I don't know exactly what happened but I heard a very loud 'how could he?' and this morning she was trying to get out of going to school so something must have happened."

"She's been on the phone constantly lately, talking to her friends or playing games. Maybe giving her the phone wasn't such a good idea."

"She has to have one so she can contact us in case of emergencies."

"I know but maybe we should give her an older type. Just for making calls and sending texts," suggested Lisa.

"You want to take away her phone and replace it with an even older one? Go ahead, Inspector Manoban. I'd like to see you try. It'll be like igniting World War III and I will not come to your rescue. You're on your own," said Jennie.