The Murder in Jeju (Part 3)

Sooyoung skips happily towards the table where her friends are having breakfast, greeting them with a chirpy "Good morning!" that makes them look at her as if she's gone crazy.

"What happened to you?" asks Lisa.

"The forensic lab just called. We got results," says the tall woman. "But breakfast first," she adds as she goes to get some food from the buffet.

They wait until Sooyoung has finished her first plate before asking her what the lab found.

"First of all, we got the killer's DNA profile and it matches the blood on the towel," says Sooyoung. "They also found fibers stuck to the watch band and a blood smudge on the back of the watch. There's no prints except for the victim's, unfortunately, but the fibers match the hotel towel they found in the trash and the blood is the killer's."

"So the watch and probably the credit card too were wrapped in that bloody towel?" concludes Jisoo.

Sooyoung nods as she eagerly chews her food.

"Now all we need is the suspect," says the captain. "Let's hope they found-..."

She hasn't finished her sentence when her phone rings, flashing Lieutenant Park's name on the screen.

"Hello? Yes, Lieutenant. What? That's great! Yes, Sooyoung has updated me. Of course. We'll be right there. Yes. See you soon. Thank you." She ends the call to see everyone at the table looking at her with wide, expectant eyes.

"They got him," she says, breaking into a grin. "Lieutenant Park will fill us in on the details as soon as we get to the station."

"Let's hurry then," replies Lisa.

--

"Where did they find him?" Jennie asks the lieutenant who's standing next to her. They're watching the ongoing interrogation through the glass. On the next room are Jisoo and Junho, sitting across the man cradling his head in his hands. Lisa is standing near the door, leaning against the wall with her arms folded across her chest.

"He was trying to sneak out of the island on a cargo ship. The captain recognized him as the man he saw on the wanted poster stuck to the port security's glass window," says Lieutenant Park. "I let him sit in the holding cell all night, just to make sure he knows that this is one serious business."

"I didn't kill him!"

The suspect's voice startles the two people behind the glass.

"I didn't know he was IA!" the middle-aged man exclaims.

"What would you have done had you known?" asks Junho. "Would you have taken more care in killing him?"

"Wha-... OF COURSE NOT! I didn't kill anyone! I wouldn't have killed him even if I knew! I'd run the other way, yes. I'd probably leave the country or disappear but I will never kill him!" says the man.

"Then why did you run?" asks Jisoo.

"Because I knew that people would talk about seeing me with him and I do not want to be a suspect."

"Really? That's all?" Junho says. "What about the fact that you're here to meet with the local dealers? And all those money and drugs you took for your own benefit?"

"The meeting was his idea, okay?!" The man then lets out a long sigh and goes back to cradling his head, filled with regret.

"So you're not even going to deny the rest?"

"What's the use?" mumbles the man. "I know how things work and I know what I've told him. If he's IA, I'm doomed. It's over," he says, slowly lifting his head. "But I refuse to go down for murder. I did not kill him. I did not go anywhere near him that night. Like I told the officer who questioned me, I was out for a walk to clear my head. I know that sounds like a lame alibi," he continues. "But I'm not lying. I came back shortly after midnight and went straight to bed. Check the hotel security cameras."