Turning Over A New Leaf (Part 9)

Jisoo was about to close her office door when she saw Lisa approaching her. "You're back?" She raised her eyebrows.

"Yeah. We brought him in."

"Jo Sangook?"

Lisa nodded. "I was going to ask you to oversee the interrogation."

"Sure." Jisoo then remembered something. "What about the lunch?"

Lisa winced. "Almost forgot about that." She took out her phone and dialed Seulgi's number. "Hey Seul, where are you? Ah okay. Can you tell everyone to just go ahead and eat first? The rest of us might be late. I just brought Jo Sangook in for questioning." She paused to listen to her friend. "Okay great. We'll see you soon."

Jisoo was surprised. "You called Seulgi?"

"Err... yes?"

"Not Jennie?"

Lisa said nothing. She pocketed her phone and turned around. "Let's go."

Jisoo closed her office door and followed Lisa. "Are you two having a fight?"

"..."

"Yesterday you were loveydovey and now you're fighting?" Jisoo still wanted an answer.

"It happens, okay? It's called being in a relationship, Kim Jisoo." Lisa didn't want to elaborate more on the matter.

Jisoo stuck her tongue out. "I'm not a teenager, you know. I asked because I was curious. What happened?"

"It's nothing serious." Lisa didn't want Jisoo to worry or misunderstand. "I was tired and she was..." She paused. "I'm not sure what she was thinking but it's really not a big deal."

"Okay. I won't pry. If it's not serious then by all means, fight away. It's strangely soothing to know that you two argue from time to time."

"Of course we do!" Lisa looked at Jisoo with wide eyes. "We're just your average normal couple."

"Sometimes I forget that because usually your sweet yucky mushiness rate is off the charts." Jisoo grinned.

Lisa glared at Jisoo who was still grinning when she entered the viewing room.

The inspector took a deep breath before stepping inside the interrogation room where Jongin and Chaeyoung were. She nodded at the young assistant inspector who then left, joining Jisoo in the other room.

Lisa took a seat next to Chaeyoung who had been staring quietly at the man.

Taking Jo Sangook in was easy. He was caught off guard when Lisa and Chaeyoung suddenly reappeared in front of his apartment door after being let in by the building guard. He knew he couldn't escape so he just followed quietly. He didn't even ask for a lawyer.

"So, Mr Jo Sangook..." Lisa opened one of the folders Chaeyoung had handed her. "Hong Miri." She took out the girl's picture and showed it to him once again. "You know her, don't you?"

The man glanced at the photograph then looked away while refusing to answer.

"You placed a call right after we left. You even went all the way to a payphone a few blocks away to do so," continued Lisa. "That's not a common behavior of an innocent man, Mr Sangook. You are hiding something."

"You barely glanced at the other children's photographs," added Chaeyoung. "But you practically stared at Miri's picture." She tapped the photograph. "Why? Do you know who did this to her?"

The man didn't move nor did he open his mouth. He just kept staring at the table in silence.

"The families and acquaintances of the three missing kids have stated that they know you. They're willing to testify too," Lisa spoke again after the short silence. "You knew that Kim Jiyoon was taken after school even though we never told you the time." She wanted to see how he reacted. Most of the people she had interrogated would protest or try to defend themselves at that point but this man still wasn't moving or speaking.