One Step at a Time (Part 9)

The table was silent save for the sound of chopsticks slightly hitting the bowls and plates.

Lisa knew that the man was contemplating on asking her a lot of things so he probably needed time to sort his questions one by one.

They had exchanged polite pleasantries while waiting for their meal but didn't even manage to say ten sentences to each other before they awkwardly quieted down.

The man glanced at Lisa and noticed her slowing down, nearly done with eating. He put his chopsticks down, took a sip from his drink then cleared his throat.

Lisa calmly took another bite, knowing that he was ready to ask his first serious question.

"Lisa, can I ask you something?"

"Go ahead, Mr. Kim. Ask away." She reached out for her glass and drank.

"R-right. Has Jennie been staying with you ever since... you know..." He couldn't bring himself to mention the incident that almost cost him his daughter's life.

"Yes."

"Has she been working with you since then too?"

Lisa nodded. "But we don't really publicize her work with us. It's part of a delicate deal that we wish to keep under wraps so I'm afraid I can't explain more on the matter."

"Oh. It's okay. I don't want to risk anything happening to her again." He paused. "Can I ask you something a bit more... personal?"

"Err... sure, I guess. But I might not answer it if I deem it too personal. Do you mind?"

"Not at all. It's your right to do so," he said. "Are you... I mean, is my daughter... Um... when I came to your apartment, I couldn't help but notice that you only have two rooms."

Lisa raised her eyebrows, waiting for him to continue.

"But there were three of you, including that little girl. And she uses one room."

Lisa knew then where he was going with this. She braced herself.

"So you're sharing the other room?"

"The room that Jiyoon, the little girl, uses is originally your daughter's room. But since we'll be taking care of her more often from now on, Jennie had to give it up for her." Lisa tried to answer as best as she could without blatantly revealing their relationship.

"I understand but – and I'm sorry for prying – if that's the case then why did Jennie get dressed in your room? Doesn't that mean that her things are there? Not in the other room? I mean, how much stuff could a little girl have? She could easily let her use the room without moving her stuff to your room." He tried his best to formulate his question in a non-offensive and subtle manner.

"Um..." Lisa wasn't sure how reply to that so she just shifted in her seat while trying to figure out the best way to explain things to him.

He noticed the uncomfortable gesture. "I'm sorry for interrogating you. I just... maybe I should just get to the point? I don't think that you two are just roommates or colleagues or even friends. Am I right?" His eyes fell onto the silver ring on Lisa's finger. He had noticed the same one on his daughter's finger yesterday although he didn't mention it.

"Does it matter?"

"She's my daughter, Lisa. And I want to know about her life for as much as I can. I haven't been there for the most of it and I bet she's told you what I've done. That I left her here, alone, to clean up the mess I made." He heaved a deep sigh. "I'm not proud of it but I really want to make up for it. Or at least try to."