The Murder in Jeju (Part 4)

For the second time that day, Jennie finds herself standing behind the two-way mirror, watching an ongoing interrogation. This time, however, it's not a suspect interrogation but more of a witness interview.

The restaurant owner, named Lee Sunil, sits facing Jisoo, Junho and Lisa who chose to sit a distance away from the table.

"You lied to us, Mr. Lee," Jisoo says. "You said you didn't know the victim."

"I didn't know him!" argues Sunil.

"He got out of your brother's car. How could you not have known him?"

"I didn't see my brother dropping him off. Even if I did, he was just my brother's client. I didn't know who he was."

"You still lied to us. You said you didn't know that car or its owner, and you didn't tell us about your brother's connection to the victim even though it was just business," says Lisa calmly yet coldly.

The man looks at her and sighs. "I didn't know, okay? My brother would get in trouble from time to time and I don't want to get involved in whatever mess he's in. I have a business to run and a life here. When your people asked me about that car, I thought it was just another parking violation or a fender bender so I said I didn't know the car and the owner. It's not my problem. He should take care of his own business."

"You hid this whole story from us. Not only did you lie to officers of the law just a few hours ago, I spoke to you directly yesterday and you never mentioned your brother dropping our victim off. In fact, you didn't mention seeing him at all that day. You realize why we find it hard to believe you right now," Lisa says.

"He frequently recommends my restaurant to his clients but he doesn't eat with them. Sometimes he'd just drop them off and leave before I could see him. Sometimes I'd see his car, sometimes I didn't. I didn't see him or his car that day."

"But the car didn't leave immediately that day," Jisoo speaks again. "It stayed there until that man finished his lunch with you."

"I didn't notice it," the man insists. "Sometimes my brother would park his car there on his breaks while he goes fishing or do whatever at the beach. I'm so used to seeing it parked there that I don't even pay attention to it anymore." He leans back and exhales. "Look, I know I shouldn't have lied and that I should've told you about him sooner. But I just don't want to get involved in a murder. And yes, he's burdensome, he's annoying and he does stupid things... but I really don't think he's related to this murder. That dead man was just a coincidental client! I spoke to him, I had lunch with him, remember? He said nothing about my brother!"

"Then explain why your brother was shouting at him just a couple hours before he died," Junho says, placing the printed screen capture from the bar's CCTV recordings, showing their wanted man pointing his finger angrily at the victim. The third man, the dirty cop they're investigating, is getting up from his seat.

Sunil takes the photo, scrutinizes it and shrugs. "Maybe he didn't pay? How should I know? Besides, how can you be sure that this is my brother? You can't even see his face clearly."

"We asked the employees at that bar and several customers. They recognized your brother. That's him, shouting at the victim," Junho states, tapping the picture with his fingers.

"You have to ask him. I don't know much about his life."

"We'd be glad to talk to him if we could find him," answers Jisoo. "He's been on the run since yesterday. Then today, his car suddenly appeared at your restaurant. Where is he?"

"I have no idea," says the man. "You can put me through a lie detector test if you want. I'm telling the truth. I don't know where he is."

Jisoo takes out another photograph, that of their main suspect, the dirty cop. She places it in front of Sunil and asks, "What about him? Have you ever seen him before?"