Chapter 49

"Hello"

"Yes..."

"Is this Mrs. Arjun Malhotra?", an unfamiliar voice asked me as I made my way over to the kitchen and started arranging the plates.

"Yes, it me, who're you and why are you calling me from my husband's phone?"

"Oh well madam, I am from the police department, we were patrolling this area when we heard an unusually loud sound", he said with a sigh, an I guess my heart was slowing down, Yash asked me who it was but I just ignored her.

"And..."

"Well, we found out upon reaching that there had been a car accident and the car had toppled over a few times"

"No- don't tell me-", I said as I shook my head, tears blurring my vision already.

"We're sorry to inform you that your husband was unfortunately the victim of the accident, we're taking him to the angel hospital", the phone was put of my grasp and onto the floor before I could even hear further. The plate fell from my hold, shattering into pieces as I slid down onto the floor.

No! No! No! This can't be happening! Maybe it's a mistake. Maybe it's not Arjun! Arjun can't do that to me! I won't let it happen!

"Tanvi!"

"Huh!"

"What happened?"

"Arj-Arjun, he-he, wait I'm sorry Yash, I have to go, please don't mind me doing this, and just eat this pizza that I've set on the table, I have somewhere to be", I rushed out before even getting a response from her and in a haste took any of the car key and was immediately on my way to the hospital.

My hands were sweaty as I held onto the steading wheel. I blinked my teary eyes several times to clear my vision. I knew I was breaking the speed limit but it didn't matter. All I knew was I had to reach my husband. Parking the car in a crooked manner I rushed inside the hospital. The nurses immediately making way for me.

Just then I saw the men in khaki, standing over there discussing something when one of them pointed their finger at me and they both walked towards me.

"Mrs. Malhotra?"

"Yes"

"He got into a fatal accident, has several severe injuries, currently he's being operated in the ICU, his parents have been called. We're sorry to inform you this", one of the man said as he looked at me with pity while I fell down as my knees buckled underneath me.

"These are his belongings", the other gave a bag to me which I defeatedly took from him as I cried my eyes out.

"We'll be back once he's operated and conscious", it wasn't even a minute later that I heard cries from mom.

"Where is he? Where is my son? This can't be possible!", She said hysterically as she thrashed in dad's arms. Then they noticed me sitting on the floor crying my eyes out.

"Tanvi", mom said as she took hold of my hands, "tell me this is a lie, tell me it isn't Arjun", all I could do was just cry. 

"Shhh Jaya, everything will be fine", dad said as he took mom in his arms. I stared helplessly at them. Roshan held Sonia as she wept. Dad held mom as she cried. I had no one to hold onto. For the man I love was in the ICU battling life and death.

My life with him flashed in front of my eyes which only resulted in me crying more. I didn't even get to say those three words. God! How could you be so cruel god? I looked through his belongings, it consisted of his wallet and his phone. When the wallet fell from my grasp, it fell open and I could see one of my picture was there and underneath that "The love of my life❤️" was written. With shaky hands I picked it up and cried harder.