fourteen

(richie tozier)
*December 31st*
i always feel bad for not being the boyfriend who gets his boyfriend flowers or chocolate. i know eddie said it's fine, but i still feel bad. thankfully, eddie is distracted with helping stan set up for the new years party. im taking eddie on a short date before. i race downstairs, finding my mom in the living room.
"mom, i need money to get eddie flowers!" i exclaim.
"oh, for your date. here's a 20, be safe!" my mom calls out as i mount on my bike.
this has to be perfect!
*one hour later*
as i knock on stan's door, i can feel myself get sweatier. the bouquet of roses in my hand, starting to make my palms sweaty as well. stan opens the door.
"where's eddie?" i ask.
"eddie!" stan yells.
eddie runs to the door and i watch as his eyes widen at the sight of the flowers. i get down on one knee like i'm proposing.
"eddie, would you want to go on a date with me?" i ask.
eddie smiles and kisses my cheek.
"of course i will, dingus," eddie giggles.
my heart melts at the sound of his angelic laugh. angels singing are no match to his giggles and laughs. when we get to the quarry, i hand him an apple.
"because it's your favorite food. i wanted to bring you on a date, but i knew you would be eating at the party," i explain.
"rich, this is great. i mean, you're dressed up, we're at my second favorite place in derry, and you're here."
"what's your favorite place?" i ask.
"well it's not really a place. you're my favorite "place", rich. you're my home, my safe place."