twenty-nine

(eddie kaspbrak)
*july 4th*
dirty looks. secret whispers. snarky comments. that's all i'm receiving. i know richie said i look great, i know he just has to say that because he's my boyfriend. i snap out of my daydream when i feel a hand on my shoulder.
"you okay, baby?" richie asks.
"yeah," i lie.
i am not okay. i feel horrible. the looks, i don't want to receive them. richie walks away to talk to bev. i sit next to max and lucas to wait for the parade to start.
"hey, eddie. your makeup looks great!" max exclaims.
"yeah," lucas insists.
"thanks, guys, i was worried," i start.
"they don't care about your problems, eddie. i do!" my mom snarls.
"about what?" stan asks.
i didn't even notice he was sitting next to me.
"nothing," i mutter.
"eds, come here!" richie shouts.
i walk over to richie, ben, and bev. richie beckons me to sit on his lap.
"what's up?" i ask.
"nothing, just missed you," richie states.
i lay down on richies lap as he plays with my hair. i was so worried about what richie would say last night, i didn't get any sleep. i start to fall asleep.
*four hours later*
"yeah, he's beautiful. i hate how much he beats himself up for his looks," richie says.
what does he mean?
"richie, he lost all trust because of his mom. he really needs reassurance," bev explains.
"i try, bev. i try to make him feel confident. i love him, but i want him to love himself," richie states.
i rub my eyes and i sit up.
"rich?" i mutter.
"yeah, darling?" richie answers.
"where is everyone?" i ask.
"they went home because they knew you were exhausted. bev decided to stay. oh! we got you some candy," richie explains.
i nod and i lay back down.
"you feeling okay, eddie?" bev asks.
"yeah, i just want to cuddle with richie," i tell bev.
"i'm going to let you two be alone. i'll call you later, trashmouth!" bev shouts, before leaving.
richie starts to get up and i notice him wiping his eyes.
"wait, babe, what's wrong?" i ask.
"i can't see you beat yourself up! about everything! your weight, your looks, what people will think of you! i love you so much, eddie kaspbrak! i think you're the most beautiful person, but i can't see you beat yourself up every day!