forty-nine

(eddie kaspbrak)
*december 25th*
"will you marry me?" i ask richie.
his mouth is gaped open, i look around at everyone, who knew it would happen today.
"yes, i'll marry you!" richie shouts.
i slide the small ring on richies finger, it may be small, but i wanted to propose with a ring. richie and i both start to cry, i kiss richie, and everyone cheers.
"um, eddie, i was going to propose to you today too," richie laughs.
"you guys can both have engagement rings!" holly shouts.
"do you still want me to propose?" richie asks.
"sure," i laugh.
richie grabs 15 christmas ornaments, placing them on the tree, spelling out 'will you marry me?'
"this is what i would've said. eddie, you've been my number one since we were in kindergarten, you're the first and only person i've loved. thank you for everything, the late night pillow fights and movies, the dates, everything, this is why i want to spend my life with you."
richie gets down on one knee.
"eddie kaspbrak, will you marry me?"
"of course, rich."
richie slides a much bigger ring on my finger, we kiss, and everyone cheers.
"mike, will, you two are next!" i shout.
"not until we're out of college, eddie," will says.
after about 40 minutes, richie and i manage to sneak off to his room.
"i'm sorry my ring is so much smaller than yours, it's all i could afford," i tell richie.
"no, it's okay. this ring is actually my great grandmas," richie states.
i lay on richies chest.
"i'm happy i didn't wait to propose."
i nod, i'm just surprised richie said yes.
"we should tell the losers," i whisper.
"yeah, i'll text them," i state.
i text them a picture of richie and my ring. within a minute, bev and ben call us.
"my best friends are engaged!" bev shouts.
"eddie proposed first and i was like fuck what do i do with my ring, but now we both have a ring," richie explains.
"we gotta start wedding planning!" bev exclaims.
"bev, we already agreed it's not going to be a big wedding, just the losers, hawkins kids, and richies family," i tell bev.
"i think we're all wondering though, are you going to have kids?"