thirty-two

(richie tozier)
*august 19th*
ring. ring. ring. who is calling me at 2:32 am?
i slide on my coke bottle glasses and i read the caller id.
haystack📚
i pick up right away because ben never calls me this late at night.
"what's up, ben?" i ask.
"is bev at your house?" ben questions.
"no why?" i respond.
"i called her and she wasn't answering and i went to her house and her dad was laying unconscious on the floor and she wasn't there, so i don't know if she went to your house. i'm scared she ran away," ben explains.
"no, she's not at my house. do you want eddie and i to help you look for her?" i ask.
"yeah, meet me at my house, i'll wake up eddie," i tell ben.
i hang up with ben and i start to worry. i know how bev's dad is. what if he did something really bad to her? i run into eddies room and i shake him until he wakes up.
"rich, it's 2 in the morning," eddie mumbles.
"bev's missing eddie! we're meeting ben in front," i explain.
eddie explodes out of his bed and starts to get ready. i go to my room and i throw on a random hoodie and jeans. the protection of my best friend is more important than looking good. i scribble a note for my mom and eddie and i meet ben outside. eddie calms him down while i try to get ahold of bev. i get nothing, i call the rest of the losers and eddie, ben, and i bike to the quarry to meet the rest. once they all get there, ben explains everything.
"has anyone been able to get ahold of her?" i ask.
"no, we should check her house again," stan states.
"yeah, let's go," ben orders.
what if bev's gone forever?
i made varsity cheer leading!