thirty-eight

(richie tozier)
*may 19th*
(a/n: they're juniors in high school now)
"richie, come on, let me tie your tie better!" my mom begs.
tonight is junior prom, obviously i'm taking eddie we've better dating for three years now and i could not be happier. eddie is still living with us though. i walk over to my mom and she helps me with my tie.
"beverly, can you put some gel in richies hair?" my mom asks.
"sure thing, mrs. tozier," bev answers.
she drags me back to my room where mike, bill, mike w, lucas, and dustin are sitting.
"el said they're still getting ready, so we have time," mike states.
"well, my mom is making bev put gel in my hair," i complain.
"don't you want to look nice for eddie?" bev asks.
"yeah, of course i do," i respond.
"then stop complaining!"
*9:15 pm*
"hey, eds, you look great," i tell eddie.
"you do too, rich. come on, let's go in!" eddie exclaims.
eddie hands then chaperone our tickets, once she lets us in, eddie takes my hand, and leads me to the gym. we go to the corner where everyone else is waiting for us. everyone is sort of just keeping to themselves, some taking pictures, some getting refreshments, some dancing in the middle.
"guys, let's go and dance!" max shouts.
everyone agrees and we all dance in the front of the gym. i can't help but look at eddie who is having the time of his life. seeing him smile is making me smile. i take eddies hand in mine, i mean, i don't want to lose him. junior and seniors are ruthless. after a couple of songs, 'put your head on my shoulder' by paul anka comes on.
"hey, kaspbrak, want to dance?" i ask eddie.
please say yes.
"of course, tozier," eddie answers.
i take eddie to the floor, i place my hands on his small hips, and he wraps his arms around my neck. we sway to the music, just smiling at each other. it doesn't matter though, because it feels like it was just us.