twenty-one

(eddie kaspbrak)
*june 6th*
"excuse me, maggie, do you want me to go upstairs?" i ask.
i think richie was right about him and mike being related.
"no, baby, stay down here," richie orders.
i take richies hand, i know this will be hard on richie and mike. once mike's mom, karen, gets to the house, mike, richie, and i sit on the couch. i take richies hand because i know he's worried.
"karen and i are just going to cut to the chase, mike, richie, you two are twins. when karen and i were in college, richies dad, wentworth, cheated on me with karen. she ended up getting pregnant with you two and since she couldn't support both of you, wentworth and i took richie. when wentworth left, i couldn't let give richie back, karen and i weren't on good terms, mike moved to indiana, i had no idea they moved back here," maggie explains.
mike and richie hug, but i can tell richies upset.
"um, can i talk to richie alone please?" i ask.
"of course," karen says, leaving.
i take richies hand and i look at him.
"are you okay? i thought you wanted a brother," i ask.
"why didn't karen want me?" richie whispers.
"rich, i'm sure she did. i think the court decided, we can talk to her," i tell richie.
"what if she knew i was a screw-up?"
"richard tozier! you are not a screw-up, you are the most amazing thing that has happened to me!" i shout.
once richie has calmed down, we go back out into the living room. richie is quiet the whole time, i don't want to push him to talk.
"rich, what's wrong? you always talk," maggie says.
"i'm sorry, i think i need to take a walk," richie whispers.
i follow richie.
"babe, i know you're upset, but you have to talk to them," i tell richie.
"no, eddie, i don't want to!" richie screams.
"richie, please," i start.
"eddie, please i need some alone time. i think we need to break up for right now."