5 | my secretary

The morning after, you were greeted by the sight of your husband looking at you with a tender smile. His head was resting on his hand.

"You're finally awake," he mumbled and leaned closer to kiss you in the forehead.

"Good morning," he added and faced you again.

"Goodmorning, Toshi-kun," you greeted back, fighting the sleepiness.

You yawned and not long after, noticed that he already had clothes on.

"How long have you been awake?" you asked and looked at your bare body underneath the sheets.

"An hour ago," he answered and got up from the bed, "I made breakfast, though it's not as good as our usual meals," he told you, referring to his old habit of ordering food instead.

"I like your cooking too, Toshi-kun," you complimented him.

"Really?" he asked and looked over the rows of clothes in the wardrobe.

"Of course," you said and stretched.

"Here," he handed you some clothes, "You might get cold too."

"Thanks."

You put on the clothes Wakatoshi gave you and gazed at the calendar hanging on the wall. It reminded you of his birthday nearing and the fact you haven't made any arrangements yet. You had a plan though.

"Toshi-kun," you said and pulled up your pajamas.

"Yes?" he asked from the small hallway of your house. He was probably on his way to the kitchen.

"When are you free?" you raised your voice and headed over to the dining room.

"Sunday," he answered. He had his schedule memorized unlike you.

"Can you go out with me on a Saturday night? A sponsor wants to meet you in person," you told him, what an obvious lie.

"Okay," he immediately agreed.

"He doesn't find it strange for a sponsor to meet him at night? Just because his wife says so? A classic," you thought and shook your head. You were finally in the dining room.

"Oh, you made omurice?" you confirmed and saw the food he prepared.

His apron was messily lying on one of the chairs and you returned it to its place.

"Yes, omurice," he answered and readied the plates.

"Oh, Toshi-kun," you mumbled his name and took a seat.

"Yes?"

"Hickeys and scratches," you muttered nervously with a bashful face and looked at his back and neck. His loose tee was revealing traces of last night.

"Oh," he mouthed, unfazed as usual.

"I'm not bothered," he spoke and sat down in front of you, "You have red marks too," he pointed out.

"How can you point out something like that in monotone?!" you thought. Your husband's stoic nature still continued to astonish you every now and then.

"I'll just wear a turtleneck or something," you told him.

"But you," you added, "You just wear a shirt during training right?"

"It's okay, they know I'm married," he reassured you.

"Oh well," you sighed and shook your head. You wanted to eat now.

"Itadakimasu!"

After breakfast, your usual routine followed. You both readied for work and you mentally prepared yourself for another tiring day at work. You knew you were already running late, but maybe your dad will let this one pass.

Almost an hour later, you gave Wakatoshi a good bye kiss before riding the car.

"See you later," he spoke in his usual stoic voice.

TK Sportswear Headquarters

Amidst the clamor of people's footsteps entering and the annoying vibration of your cellphone in your pocket, you stared into the bright "32nd floor" elevator button.

You sighed and placed your hand on your coat pocket to turn off your phone. It was probably just Secretary Dan panicking. You swept your hair to the side as it was covering the lenses of your sunglasses.

"Good morning, Director Ushijima," the employees greeted as they entered the elevator. You read their name plates and remembered that these were the newly hired graduates. They were polite and obedient but they needed more time for training.

"Are the papers ready?" you asked them as you turned your gaze into their empty files. You expected that the papers were already in your desk, seeing that they were empty-handed.

"Ah, yes, we placed them in your office," they replied with an obviously worried smile. "Was I scary?" you asked yourself, "Probably not," you thought.

You heard the elevator ding and at last, you arrived on the 32nd floor.

It was finally much more quiet and less annoying. All you heard was the sound of your heels tapping the floor and the sound of the elevator ding. You reached the end of the hallway and looked at the familiar yet plain wooden door that led to your office.

"Ah! Director Ushijima, where have you been?" your secretary stood up from his desk, panicking as you expected.

"Calm down," you clicked your tongue, he immediately sat down.

"The meeting's in 10 minutes, I tried delaying it as much as I can," he informed you.

"Then let's go," you spoke in a calm voice, contrary to his.

He nodded and grabbed his files and laptop, "Please inform me next time about your whereabouts."

"Secretary Dan, you're too worried," you teased how serious he was with his job. It wasn't like you to poke fun like that at work but you were in a good mood.

"Of course I'm worried for you," he protested, "The president's probably going to scold me now," he sighed and stood up.

"Don't worry, I'm here," you pat his back and walked to the elevator.

"Loosen up, it's going to be fine, Dan," you paused and looked behind, "-san," you added the honorific.

"Dan-san?" he mumbled, still frowning but now strangely getting red.