7 | nightsky

It was finally Saturday night and everything was going according to your plan. The yacht was ready, the dinner preparations were done, and the waters were calm. The only one left was Wakatoshi himself, the celebrant.

You waited on the port, sitting on the bench nearby.

"Where are you?" you stared at Wakatoshi's picture on your phone and fidgeted your fingers.

"Director Ushijima," you heard Dan's voice instead of his.

"You can leave now, it's quite late," you looked up at him.

"It's dangerous to be alone at night," he contradicted you and sat beside you, keeping some distance.

"I'll be fine," you shook your head.

You looked back on your phone again, "Toshi-kun?" you sent your fourth text in a row.

He was online but he wasn't reading your messages for some reason. That wasn't like him. You sighed again and looked up at the nightsky, gazing at the distant stars.

"Is there some alcohol on the yacht?" you asked Dan.

"I ordered the wine as you instructed, Director." As expected.

"Beer, I meant beer, Secretary Dan," you clarified.

"I'm not sure. Should I buy some?" he asked.

"Forget it, we're drinking wine," you told him and stood up.

"We?" he raised a brow as you walked to the entrance of the yacht.

"He might come any minute now," he reminded you with a panicked voice. At the same time, you finally heard the long awaited notification sound.

"I'm sorry. Can you ask the sponsor to meet me some other time?" you read. It was Wakatoshi.

"He's not coming," you paused and told him with a shaky voice.

"Then I'll take you home," he offered since you already made your driver go home.

"This is a bad idea," he muttered, probably referring to your invitation to drink with him.

"I want to drink," you protested.

"Let's go home," Dan insisted.

It was supposed to be comforting words. 'Let's go home' was supposed to sound sweet and reassuring, but it made you remember Wakatoshi even more.

"Fine," you gave in, now teary eyed.

Your preparations were gone to waste but there was nothing you could do about it anyway.

"I'll just talk to them," he said and approached you. He was probably going to talk to the crew to cancel everything.

You sat at the bench again and put away your phone. You didn't want to read another 'sorry' from him. You looked at the ring on your left hand and sighed.

Your eyes felt heavy as the tears continued to pile up, just a blink away from falling.

"Director Ushijima," you heard a man's voice again. It was obviously Dan.

"I'll book a taxi for you," he added, still standing.

You just nodded, knowing that a single word would make your voice crack.

You silently waited for the taxi to come pick you up and the minutes it took felt like forever. You felt your phone continuously vibrate on your bag but you lost the energy to even check it out.

"It's here," Dan told you and opened the door.

You quickly got up from the bench and nodded. You were about to enter the taxi when the voice you've been meaning to hear reached your eardrums. It was Wakatoshi. Finally.

"Y/N-chan."

"Toshi-kun?" your eyes widened as you hurriedly turned around.

"I'm sorry I'm late."