6 | dan

"Secretary Dan," you heard your father's voice after the meeting. You were just about to exit the conference hall with your secretary when you paused to face him.

"Ah, hello, father," you greeted him for the second time this day.

"You better not make that mistake again," he ignored your greeting and started to scold Dan for the delay earlier.

"If that was a meeting with an investor, we would have lost a deal," he reprimanded.

"I'm sorry," you bowed and apologized, "I was late, Secretary Dan was just doing his job, father," you humbled yourself.

"This will not happen again," you vowed and raised your head.

"It better not," your father warned before leaving. He was more tense than usual, probably troubled with the news of your mother wanting to retire.

"Director Ushijima," Dan called you and sighed.

"It was my fault," you pat his shoulder then walked ahead of him before he could say an apology.

"Let's go back," you instructed, not looking back at him.

"Yes," he nodded and followed, catching up to walk by your side.

Your satisfying morning came to an end with your father's scolding. It reminded you of the burden you have, being the sole heir of the company, and how every action you do is judged.

"Director," Dan called your name, snapping you out from the negative train of thoughts.

"Yes?"

"We're here," he told you and pressed the hold button of the elevator. You were in the 32nd floor now.

"Ah, right," you nodded and stepped out.

TK Sportswear Headquarters - 7PM - Director's Office

As you worked on your computer, you didn't even notice the time, until you received a message from Wakatoshi.

"I bought dinner. When are you going home?" he asked in a text message.

"I'll be working longer, I'm sorry," you replied instantly and looked back at your screen. You were only halfway done.

"It's okay. Good luck."

You turned off your phone and your hands found their way back at the keyboard and mouse. Your head was starting to ache from your lack of breaks for the day.

"Secretary Dan," you raised your voice for him to hear.

You waited for him to walk to your office or at least a reply but he was silent.

"Dan!" you repeated.

"Where is he?" you asked yourself and got up from your seat.

"Araki Dan," you called his full name and opened the door.

"Oh," you mouthed at the sight of your secretary sleeping on his desk, with his glasses still on.

"Sleeping at work? Not very like you," you mumbled and poked the sides of his glasses.

"Oh well, that can't be helped," you added, tempted to remove his glasses for him.

"Ushijima-san?" he softly muttered as he recognized your voice.

"Ah, so you're awake," you spoke and immediately retracted back your hand.

"5 more minutes," he spoke again and moved from his sleeping position.

"You think I'm giving you 5 minutes of sleep at work?" you clicked your tongue and shook you head. You guessed that it was his habit when being waken up.

Not hearing a response, you looked at him again and sighed.

"I'm going to get some coffee," you told him, knowing he was half-awake anyway.

You heard him groan and he began straightening his posture. With his eyes still closed, he stretched his arms and yawned.

"O-oh, Director Ushijima!" he even seemed surprised to see you standing in front of his desk.

"I'm sorry," he gasped and his eyes widened.

"Forget it," you shook your head and crossed your arms.

"But can you buy me coffee?" you asked him, that was the reason why you came to him in the first place.

"Yes," he nodded, "The usual, right?" he confirmed and got up, fixing his glasses.

"Yes," you answered.

"Okay," he nodded again and hurried to the elevator, almost running.

You gripped his arm to stop him. You were bothered to see how fidgety he
became after getting caught sleeping.

"Breathe," you raised your brows as you advised.

Director's Office - 30 minutes later

"Director Ushijima," you heard Dan's voice as well as a knock on the door.

"Yes?" you spoke while you continued your work on the computer.

"Your coffee," he spoke as he entered the office.

"Thanks," you looked at Dan placing the coffee on your table.

"Oh, are those, uh, cup noodles?" you asked, just before he was about to leave.

"Huh?" he turned around and looked at the unopened cup noodles on his hand.

"Ah yes," he nodded, "Have you not tried cup noodles before, Director?"

"Of course I have," you defended.

"Would you like cup noodles too?" he offered.

You paused to think about it, you've tried those before with Wakatoshi, but it's been a while since you last ate that.

"Um, I'll take that as a yes?" he assumed. You responded with a nod.

"Okay," Dan said and left your office.

You spent the rest of your time working and waiting for your noodles. With your cellphone turned off, you even forgot to tell Wakatoshi you'd go home later than he probably expected.

You were oblivious with how much you'd actually regret that later on. You were too focused on your work, too eager to click on that close button and turn off your computer.

"Director," you heard Dan as you wrote your final sentence on the plan.

"Come in," you spoke.

"Finally," you sighed in relief, "I'm done here."

"Here's your cup noodles," he told you and placed it on your desk.

"Ah, wait," you stopped him from leaving.

"Would you like to eat with me?" you invited him.

"Oh?" Dan was visibly surprised and delighted.

"For the day off I was asking for, I'll leave work on Saturday noon," you explained, "I want you to make reservations too. It's for my husband's birthday."

"Oh," he muttered again, "Your husband."