way more brightly

WARNINGMENTIONS OF SUICIDE AND DEPRESSION

WARNING
MENTIONS OF SUICIDE
AND DEPRESSION

jungkook

miyu seemed like the nicest girl and honestly, i'm grateful to her for protecting him. taehyung had told me about how much miyu helped him, both in learning japanese and opening up. as i watched them dance around together with bright smiles on their faces, i could really see how much they mean to each other.

deciding that i had been standing around for too long, i joined in. but just then, the teachers and principal went on stage. everyone hurried to sit down and the principal held his speech. they crowned the prom king and queen, which turned out to be students from the other class. i could only recognise the boy, seokjin, who everyone adored.

after, they started asking for even more students to come up on the stage for random diplomas, like best helper, most hardworking and class-clown, which wasn't the teachers favorite category. to my shock, i was called up on stage. i turned around wide-eyed towards my friends who just laughed and pushed me towards the stage. once on stage, my homeroom teacher walked up to me with a smile.

"jeon jungkook, we've decided to create a new diploma inspired by you. throughout the years at this school you've shown how kind and caring you are. standing up for our other students, not letting anyone get to you and you're still standing strong even after three long years. and most of all, i'm sure that taehyung and misun are the most proud of you." my homeroom teacher ended his speech and i couldn't help but let a tear escape at the mention of the name.

"t-thank you." i said as i bowed with the diploma in my hand.

walking back to my table, i looked out the window to see that oh-so familiar tree. it had started to snow and it was covering the ground in a thin layer. it was peaceful. i sat down at the table and they clapped.

"congrats dude! you deserve it." hoseok said and hugged me.

"thank you but i really didn't need a diploma for this, i just want to be a good person." i explained.

"and you are a good person." taehyung added and smiled.

"if you don't mind me asking, who's misun?" yoongi asked curiously.

"can we talk about it somewhere else?" i asked and everyone agreed.

we went outside of the gymnasium and to our classroom, sitting down on a few chairs. i took a deep breath as i remember misun like i had seen her just yesterday.

"s-she was a really close friend. i met her during my first year, at that point she had been bullied ever since middle school. she was a positive person who really tried to ignore everyone's words and live the way she wanted to. i befriended her and i cared so much about her. i kept her away from the bullies and spent almost all of my time with her. she seemed happier, always laughing and smiling. but... two years ago on this day... she took her own l-life." i explained and everyone got silent.

"oh... she must've really appreciated what you did for her though. i understand her though..." taehyung said, looking down at his hands.

"what do you mean?" i asked.

"i-i've also tried to... end my own life." he confessed.

"i-i didn't know..." i looked down as my heartbeat quickened from the fear of losing taehyung.

"i'm happy now but back then was different. i had just gotten to know you and was still in a dark place. at that point i had just given up, i just wanted to die a peaceful and painless death. even if i had the courage, i wasn't ready leave. so i woke up in a hospital room and my life felt like it had a new meaning. death scares me now because i have so many people that i care about and i don't want to leave." he explained.

both me and miyu were crying as the others held it it in. standing up, i threw my arms around him. not too long after, miyu joined in.

"don't cry... i'm happy now, look!" taehyung said and smiled brightly.

"thank god..." i chocked out through my tears.

"tae... i'm so relieved that you stayed." miyu said, once again hugging him.

"i'm relieved as well." he said.

as miyu let taehyung go, he stood up and smiled.

"i don't want this to get even more sad. let's be happy and enjoy the rest of the night, okay?" he said enthusiastically and everyone agreed.

as we left the classroom, yoongi patted taehyung's shoulder and gave him a knowing smile, like he had been in the same place as him.