-Chapter 2-

The morning sets on a warm, yet windy day in New York.

Chris; who had been in a deep sleep, quickly opened his eyes and jolted out of bed. While he was covered in cold sweat, he breathed heavily as his brain short-circuited. Rapid images flashed through his head all as he glanced around his bedroom in paranoia. It took him a while to come back to reality and realize that it was all one of his frantic and recurring nightmares, but he couldn't shake of that torture no matter how much he tried.

"Chris...?" he heard a voice and he quickly snapped his head to the side to see his mom strolling inside from the balcony across the room. She placed her cup of coffee down on her nearby table, and ran her hands down her robe, before going to walk over to him. "Are you okay?" she asked, taking a seat beside him on the bed.

Chris hung his head low slightly as he tried to control his breathing. He lifted his hand to rub his eyes together, before using the other to run through his messy bed hair.

"What time is it?" he asked, opening his eyes back up to face her.

"Almost 6:30 in the morning... I wanted to come watch you sleep for a little while before you woke up. I always used to do it the first year I gave birth to you" she stated as Chris shifted his eyes away. He placed his hand on his chest, feeling his heart rate began to decrease by the second. "Did you have the nightmares again... about your father?".

Chris glanced over at his balcony to see the sun slowly start to set in. The slight breeze blew through the curtains as the ominous, busy street sounds started to become louder and louder below.

"Look I don't wanna be those type of people that tell you that things will get better one day, because I know that's not the type of bullshit you wanna hear right now, especially from me... but what I can say is that it'll get easier and things won't hurt as much as it does now" she muttered, before hesitantly lifting her hand to place over his as he slowly glanced down at their hands, then back up at her. This month had been overwhelming and endearing with them trying to rebuild the relationship, and it seemed like ever since showed up at her pent house more broken and damaged than he had ever been, they had slowly developed a type of bond that he never thought was possible "So, I heard you went to therapy" Caroline trailed off.

"Yeah..." he replied, in a faint and hollow tone. "I didn't wanna go at first. but my friend Val kinda signed me up for it and didn't tell me where we were going till we were there. I kinda freaked out at the thought and almost had a fucking panic attack, but I ended up going ahead with it anyway".

"Who?" Caroline asked puzzlingly arching her brow up.

"Valentina... you met her the other day when she came to the pent house" he reminded.

"Right... the pregnant Italian girl. I meet so many people on the daily I'm never good with names" she breathed out, pushing her hair to the side. 

"You had a full conversation with her in Italian too remember" Chris murmured in amusement. 

Caroline chuckled lightly at his comment. She gently brushed through his palm with her fingers as they stared at each other in silence for a little while.

"Look, I've never been fond of the whole therapy idea. I've always that telling someone your problems when they can never offer a rationale solution to them is a big waste of time, but maybe that's why I've never been stable myself... I just wanna know that whatever you do and whatever decision you make I'll support you" she said, flashing him a warm smile.

Those words felt surreal to him at first, and it took him a while to process it carefully as he never imagined it to ever come out of her mouth.

"That reminds me... Ian called last night. He asked about you... you know I really think you should give him a call" she spoke, as Chris slowly sat up on the bed.