-Chapter 26-

A couple days later, Chris and Ian were driving over to Virginia; where his daughter lived with her adopted parents. After a lengthy discussion, Chris knew that he had to see her. He knew he wouldn't dare spill the fact that he was her biological father, because she had her own family, but all he needed right then was to see her. It was a risk, but he knew he wouldn't be able to carry on.

Glancing up at the sun's welcoming rays at the sky, Chris then turned to look at Ian who sat beside him in the passenger's seat, gazing out the window.

The sadness that clouded around him was something he couldn't escape. It laid and covered like dirty snow over every of his other emotions, graying his spirit and tainting all that could bring him joy and relief. His once hearty laugh had become hollow and the smile that had been so quick to light his face was now only a mask to protect him from what he truly felt inside. He sat there, feeling his heart crackling like glass with each second that passed, spreading its pieces throughout his body. Chris could hardly bare the sight as he watched him lift his hand to rub his eyes together, before sighing and turning his attention back to the road.

He was broken and he had been that way for the past four days. Usually Chris was the one who constantly went through all the problems in life and Ian would be the one to step in, but it was a very different case then. One of the many things that they both shared in common was that they were both two very passionate people, who gave their all to everything and whenever they loved someone, they loved with every fiber of their emotion, and most of all with their hearts. Their strong sense of an undying love was something that ran in the family, even with Phillip. Despite how much pain that person causes them and how much they suffer because of it, they still continued to love until it kills them, and for Ian that had come full circle.

Despite how much pain Miranda had caused him in their relationship he still continued to love her. He once saw her as this beautiful goddess who would forever remain untouched in his heart, but now it was the compete opposite. The pure hatred he now felt for her was something he couldn't even put into words or contain inside. Being a father was something he never thought of, due to how he lived his whole life and how unstable he was, but he wished he had gotten a chance to be one. He wish he had gotten the chance to be there at her birth, to see her first smile, to see her take her first steps, to hear her first words, to spoil her the way he knew he would've and more importantly to promise her that he would always protect and take care of her. He wish he had gotten a chance to do all those things, without it being taken away from him without him knowing. Up until four days ago he didn't know he had a daughter, he had no idea that somewhere in the country was a six- almost seven year old little girl who shared his blood and everything, and knowing that he couldn't go get her easily as she was being raised by another family, was what killed him the most inside.

"You okay?" Chris spoke up a while later, as he shifted his eyes from the road and turned to face him.

Ian ran his hand down his face, grasping his under eye bags from the lack of sleep for the past couple days. "I can't do this, turn the car around" he murmured quietly as his breath hitched.

"You've asked me to turn the car around and go back four times now in the past hour... you need to at least see her" he said.

"And do what? watch her from afar for however long and then turn around and drive back home and never see her again?... or do I go to her adopted family, tell them that I'm her biological father who didn't even know she existed up until Friday and beg them for me to be in her life... they'll never let that happen. I may be her real dad but they've raised her for the past seven years, I can't compare... I didn't even know about her" he sighed, leaning further back in his seat.

"And that's not your fault..." Chris trailed off, gripping onto the steering wheel. "I know that if Miranda had told you about the pregnancy you would've stepped up and been a good dad and she would've made you a better person then. This is Miranda's fault, and she'll pay for everything that she's done to you" he said briefly. "What's her name again... your daughter?" he questioned.