-Chapter 35-

______________________________________

-Over in New York-

______________________________________

Ian was stood in Raphael's baby room slightly crouching over his crib as he held up his favorite teddy bear that he had bought him for his six months birthday. He smiled as he watched him stretch out his tiny little arms to grab hold of the bear, whilst he laughed in a small cackle, warming his heart and clouding away all the worryness and uneasiness he was feeling inside.

He leaned further down and reached inside the crib to pick him up. He carried him in is arms and then slowly spun him around in the air, causing him to laugh even more. The big bright smile on his small chubby face was so soft, so pure and innocent. He had no idea what was going on around him, he had no idea about the violence, how is real father was trying to take him away, how things could possibly get worse. Right now he was protected, safe and most of all loved and although he sometimes didn't see himself worthy, he hoped to have the chance to continue being in both him and Valentina's life for the rest of his life. He hoped for them to be a real family and to one day give Raphael lots of siblings.

Moments later, he turned his head over to see Valentina leaned on the door frame as she smiled over at the two. When she was pregnant with Raphael, it was a sight she never imagined she would see.

"Hey..." she spoke up, pulling her sweater sleeves over her hands, before going to walk over to them.

"Hey" Ian replied, slowly rocking Raphael in his arms as the two leaned in for a kiss. "I just got of the phone with Precious about five minutes ago" he sighed quietly.

"Are her and Chris okay? what happened with them and Miranda?" she asked, staring up at him.

He handed Raphael over to her before taking a deep breath and speaking up. "It got a little complicated... she said Miranda wanted to talk to Chris about something... I don't know, I don't know if she'll really help us out, she's not a straightforward person, she's never been" he stated, placing his hand on his hip.

Valentina gazed up at him as he turned his head to glance out the window in deep thought. She placed a kiss on Raphael's forehead, before she went to place him back inside his crib as he began to slowly fall asleep. Afterwards, she turned her attention back to Ian who began to rub his eyes together in frustration at not knowing what was going on in San Diego. She slowly removed his hand from his face and squeezed onto it, slowly drawing his attention back to her.

"I don't know what's going on, and I don't know what's going to happen, but I do wanna say this..." she quietly breathed out, going to take his other hand. "I wanna thank you for everything you're doing for Ralph and I, Chris and Precious too. You didn't have to stay, you could've gone back to Michigan or anywhere else, but you chose to be here and protect and take care of us. It wasn't something that you felt you had to do, especially because of our past, but you wanted to, and I feel like I don't deserve you".

Ian took a step closer towards her and cupped her face with his large hands, his thumb gently grasping across her lips. "What? no, its me who doesn't deserve you. You gave me another chance after everything, after I hurt you and caused you years of pain, you decided to forgive me and open your heart to me again even though I didn't deserve it ... I've never had that before, I've never had anyone give me a second chance, and despite everything that's going on I've never been this happy. You are my home, you and Ralph, I know that, I've never been more sure of anything I never should've left you, it won't happen again, I promise" he whispered, before leaning in to place a kiss on her forehead.