-Chapter 13-

Earlier on that day in Michigan; it was seven in the evening and Precious was in the bathroom with her mom.

She was laid in the bathtub, swirling her hands against the foam, whilst staring of into deep space. After a while, she slowly turned her head to look at Angela, who stood facing the mirror as she applied some lipstick. She watched her for a brief while, before pushing her head back and breathing out a quiet sigh.

September 29th; it was the day that she's been dreading ever since they walked out of each other's lives, because she knew that she would have to relieve more memories than she does on the daily. She used to talk about this day when they were together, and even though she knew he wasn't particularly fond of his birthday, she would often think about throwing him a mini surprise party, but the memory of that seemed so vague. As she laid in the bathtub staring up at the ceiling, she couldn't help but wonder what he could be doing right now over in New York; if he was doing something for his birthday after all, if he was smiling and somewhat happy, if he had finally moved on. 

Her thoughts were interrupted moments later, by the sound of Angela repeatedly calling her name. Snapping back to reality, she pushed her head back down before turning to face her.

"Precious... what do you think?" asked Angela as she twirled around, showing of her outfit, before placing her hand on her hips. She was dressed in a short yellow dress, black heels and a white trench coat.

"Angela Janelle Lawson wearing a dress, what?" Precious chuckled as Angela playfully rolled her eyes. "This is the fourth date you're going on in two weeks, and you didn't stress or make any effort for the other three. I just hope this guy doesn't end up disappointing you, mom" she sneered, placing her hand on the edge of the tub.

"You know it is a struggle being attracted to both men and women. I've stayed away from men for years and only dated women. This is the first man I'm going on a date with in a long time... I'm just a little nervous" she breathed out, turning back around to look at herself in the mirror.

Precious smiled over at her before speaking up. "I'm proud of you for opening yourself up again... what's this guy like again?" she asked.

"Well..." Angela trailed off, turning back around to face her. "I haven't met him in person yet, we've only spoke online, but his name is Tony, he's from Colombia but he grew up in London and moved to the states in his 20's. He's forty-one years old now, and he has two boys from his previous marriage... you know I'm thirty-three years old, but I never thought I'd date someone in their 40's..." she explained briefly. "He seems like a good guy, but I'm not expecting too much, because... men will always find a way to disappoint you somehow" she muttered the last bit, before shifting her eyes down to the bracelet she wore around her wrist.

Precious gazed over at her in silence carefully watching the look on her face. Ever since the incident with her father, who no one had heard from or seen in three months, which had resulted in her getting shot, they had become a lot closer with each passing day, getting to know and understand each other better as mother and daughter and as friends. It hasn't been easy most of the time and they often got into fights like normal mothers and daughters, but it was all worth it, because for the first time in their lives they were able to have a close and personal relationship with each other, and they made sure not to take it for granted.

"Anyway..." Angela quickly cleared her throat, deciding to change the subject. "Are you sure you're going to be okay going to a gala later on surrounded by rich, snobby, white people?" she asked, slowly walking over to her.

"Don't worry, mom, I'll be fine. Ian's gonna be there, he's the one that asked me to go with him" she reminded, staring up at her. "Plus its not the first time I've been to gala, earlier in the year Chris and I-" Not wanting to continue on, she paused mid sentence and slowly diverted her eyes away as silence quickly filled the room.