-Chapter 6-

The next couple days quickly came by. It was a warm mid Sunday afternoon in New York city.

Chris sat across a hospital room as he watched the doctor perform a pregnancy check-in on Valentina. She turned to glance over at him and he sent her a small wave, before slowly getting up and strolling over to look closely at the ultrasound. 

"How long can I know the sex of the baby?" Valentina questioned, glancing over at the monitor.

"In about four to six weeks. Just make sure you keep coming to your regular check-ups till then, its very important" the doctor informed. She removed her stethoscope from her ears, before glancing up at Chris. "Are you the father?" she asked.

"This is my best friend, Chris, he's going to be the baby's God father... the father's not around" Valentina responded as Chris slipped his hands in his pockets, whilst slowly nodding his head.

"Ah I see" said the doctor, as she looked away from Chris. "I know how tough it is having a baby at a young age. You're almost twenty-three years old, the father of the baby isn't here to support you and it can feel like a scary time. You mentioned before that your mother died a long time ago, but still I think you should look for into some female support so that-

"Thank you, Doctor but I have female support" she interrupted, thinking back to Precious and her grandmother and how they had graciously taken care of her when she went to Michigan last week. She looked up at Chris who stared back down at her with an unwavering expression, immediately knowing who she was referring to. "And like I said, Chris is my best friend, he's supporting me a lot" she uttered briefly.

The doctor quickly flashed an awkward smile, before clearing her throat. "Right, of course, my apologies. I will see you at your next check-up, Valentina".

Valentina nodded her head, before going to pull her shirt down. She then climbed out of bed with  help from Chris, before they headed towards the door.

"Weird..." Valentina trailed off as they stepped out the room. "Doctors are the only people who doesn't seem to like you very much" she teased, linking her arm with his.

Chris scoffed loudly, slightly lowering his head as they strolled down the long hallway. "I guess your life would be a lot better right now if I were a girl" he said as they laughed a little.

Moments later, she glanced up at him to see the smile completely wiped from his face as they carried on walking. She knew him since he was a kid, he wasn't the perfect person then, but he was always smiling and happy. She wasn't sure if it was because he had his grandma with him, but those summers that they would spend at the cabin brought out the happiness in him, but childhood innocence never lasts forever and she knew that first hand. A lot of things had happened to him mentally and emotionally since then and she couldn't blame him.

"You okay?" she asked as they stopped near the door.

Chris shifted his eyes down at her as she looked back at him a little worriedly. Ever since the events of Thursday night where he had almost thought of letting Precious go, he had been constantly battling with himself more than usually on the right thing to do. The right thing... that can mean so many things, but to him, it determined his happiness for the rest of his life.

As he was about to speak up, his eyes quickly narrowed to the side to see Anna walking through the door. She stopped to look at him as she clinged onto her handbag draped around her shoulder. They hadn't seen each other ever since his mom's hurtful outburst towards her.

"Anna" he spoke up, turning his full body towards her. "Val, this is uh my mom's assistant I told you about her, Anna this is my friend, Val" he said, introducing the two.