-Chapter 17-

________________________________

-One Month later-

_______________________________

It was a chilly, late Saturday morning in the middle of November, and Chris was arriving outside his mother's pent-house. As he reached the door, carrying a coffee and a large brown envelope in his hand, he breathed out a heavy sigh, before reaching into his pockets to bring out the keys. 

This past month had been tough for him. It was one of the most emotionally and mentally draining month of his life, and he had came close several times to having a huge mental breakdown, but before he could, he made sure to pick himself back up. He was constantly tired of living in misery, he didn't want that to be the only feeling he felt for the rest of his life, he didn't want to wake up each and every day in his future and feel so empty and with no emotions like his father when he was alive. He was tired of feeling pain, and even though he still had a long way to go, and knew that he might encounter some more heavy and disheartening pain along the way, he was prepared to deal with it and not run away from it, like he's done in the past.

After snapping out of his thoughts, he inserted the key into the hole and pushed open the door, before he slowly stepped inside. 

He looked around the quiet living room, before closing the door behind him. He then went to open the blinds to let the light in, stopping to take in the view of the city, and also the snowflakes, which began to slowly fall from the sky. He had been in New York for seven months now, and although he only ran away here to get away from everything in Michigan, he'd admit that his life had changed a little ever since being here.

Minutes later, he shifted his eyes away and took of his jacket, before turning around to glance back around the living room. Figuring that his mother was still asleep, he then turned to head towards the direction of her bedroom. He knocked on her door, and waited, but when he didn't hear a response, he slowly pushed the door open and peered inside to see her fast asleep on the bed.

Carefully closing the door behind him, he slowly walked over to her. He gazed down at her sleeping face, before taking a seat beside her on the bed. It amazed him how she could look so peaceful asleep, whilst her life was barely hanging on thin ice. But it seemed like she was most at peace whenever she slept, like she wasn't a torn woman going through deep pain and struggles, like she was just a normal and everyday person.

Moments later, Caroline slowly opened her eyes. She shifted her head on her pillow, before looking up at Chris to see him staring back down at her. They looked at each other for a brief while, before she spoke u

"This is the fourth time this week that I've woken up to the sight of you and you always manage to look more exhausted each time" she muttered, looking closely at the heavy bags under his eyes and his droopy eyelids.

Chris placed his hand on her head to check his temperature, before sighing to himself. "How did you sleep? I brought you coffee so just stay and rest a little longer" he uttered, placing the coffee on her nightstand.

"Chris, you don't have to worry about me. I can't just sleep in, I have a case that I need to win and I can't do so laying in bed... look, I know that I'm sick but-"

"You don't have to take on Max Richardson's case anymore, mom" he spoke quickly cutting her off her sentence. 

Caroline stared up at him bewilderingly, before her eyes flickered down to the large envelope in his hand. "What's inside?" she asked quietly, shifting her eyes back up at him.