-Chapter 39-

The next few days was like a blur. It was almost non-existent in as the high anticipation cascaded all around, and when the day finally arrived it became still. Despite the chaos that was to come later on it was quiet, peaceful and they hoped it remained that way after all this was over.

It was Six in the morning. Phillip stood beside the living room window in the pent house as he watched the sun slowly come up in the New York city landscape.

Every day this past year he had stood and watched the sun come up each morning, but this morning was different. Despite not knowing how things might turn out later on in the day, it was the first time not only this past year, but for the past twenty-eight years that he felt he could really rest and let go of all his burdens. He had always had a strong and heavy mindset and one of the reasons was due to Cecelia leaving him almost three decades ago. He was nineteen years old when he first met her and fell in love, twenty years old when he realized he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her forever, twenty-three years old when he proposed to her and also when she left him. Now he was fifty-one years old, feeling more older than he was. After she left, people had told him to forget about her, that he would find someone better, that he wouldn't even remember her in the next five years, but that couldn't have been more wrong. Their relationship wasn't perfect and easy, but the strong love they had for each other always carried them through it, which was why it was so difficult to forget and let go even after so many years. She had been at the center of most of his life, and after everything they had been through, he couldn't wait to see her again, to hold her in his arms, to tell her that he's come back to her good, and lastly for them to grow very old together with their last remaining years, living the life that they missed out on.

Turning back around moments later, he peered over at Chris who was snuggled up on the sofa with Precious fast asleep. He walked over to them to carefully pull the covers over them, whilst also trying not to wake them up. He stared down at them for a brief short while, watching them sleep, before turning his head around to face Ian who was laid also fast asleep on the sofa opposite them. Valentina was laid next to him and Raphael was laid on his chest as the three of them slept peacefully. His lips slowly curved into a small smile, before he went to walk in the direction of the kitchen.

Seconds later, Ian slowly opened his eyes to quickly glance over at Phillip. He breathed out a silent sigh and stared up at the ceiling, listening to the sound of his footsteps.

Each time he saw him, he still couldn't believe that he was alive. The older brother that he had forced himself to say goodbye to and move on from due to his horrific 'death', had unexpectedly returned back into his life, and it made him incredibly overwhelmed. They hadn't spoke properly since his return back to New York last week. He had always found a way to dodge him or avoid him as he was still swarmed with a mix of different emotions, but he knew he couldn't keep that up forever. Sometimes he found himself jealous of his nephew and how well and easily he was able to accept him back into his life, whilst slowly building a new healthy relationship with him. No one had been through as much as him this year, but he never let his heart fill with heaviness for too long, and as young as he was, it always amazed him how well he's managed to control himself, compared to the type of person he was last year. He wished that he was able to easily forgive and move on like him, that was a major flaw that he's struggled with almost all his life, but he was determined to work through it.

He gazed up at the ceiling, drowning in his own thoughts for a few minutes, before bringing his eyes back down to a sleeping Raphael who laid on his chest. He smiled to himself, gently rubbing his small back, before he rotated his head to face Valentina who laid next to him. Chuckling at her light snores, he shifted closer to place a kiss on her forehead, before shifting back to watch her beautiful face. Her dark olive skin, rosy lips, small pointy nose, and her baby face that he always teased her of, were all things he could simply stare at forever.