-Chapter 9-

After a long drive through the night he had found himself back in Michigan where it all began. He couldn't count the amount of times that he had stopped during the journey, wanting to just turn back around, but in the end he just kept driving and before he knew it, he was back.

It was past noon. The air and the overall atmosphere in Detroit felt much cooler and crisp. He wasn't sure if it was because he had spent the past two months in New York, but being back in the town where he had almost lost his sanity, where he ran away from, was sending cold, numbing chills up his spine.

He was stood outside Precious' apartment building, gazing straight up at her bedroom window, as grey clouds appeared in the sky, despite it being near the ending of June.

The last time he was stood here looking up at her window was the night before he left. They had gotten into a fight hours before and broke up and it felt as if everything was falling apart for him, and he knew he had to leave. When he came back to this same spot hours later, he had stood in his own dark circulating thoughts for thirty minutes, before she opened her curtains to finally notice him, and for a moment he thought about going inside to hold her, to hug and kiss her and tell her that he was sorry for what he said and that he didn't wanna break up, but he was a coward, so he turned around and drove away, knowing that he was going to do the same thing to her the day after, which only made him feel worse. He was sick, he was a mess, the complete opposite of perfect, but he knew if he stayed, he would only begin to cause her more pain.

'Pain'... that was one of the many things that had been haunting him for the past two months. As well as causing Precious pain each and every day for abandoning her, he was bringing more pain to himself by his actions and the way he's handled things ever since his father died. Living with pain for anyone can be a miserable experience, but for him it was normal. It was the most normal thing in the world to him and all he knew, but it shouldn't have been, and although he had being gone to therapy, letting out all his thoughts and emotions to a stranger, he knew that in the end he would be the one to decide his fate and happiness.

After a while, he reached into his pocket and brought out his phone to look at his lock screen picture of Precious. It was truly amazing how many times he turned on his phone just to look at that picture of her each day. Even after they were broken up, even after everything, he still refused to change it, because he knew the day he would, would be the day here he would really be forced to move on.

Stuffing his phone back in his pocket moments later, he quickly pushed his head back and ran his hands down his face.

He wasn't sure why he had came back, especially because he wasn't sure if he was ready to face anybody. It was as if after his conversation on the phone with Ian last night and hearing about the incident with Angela, something inside him had clicked and he wasn't sure what. Maybe it was the fact that he was there to protect Precious, her grandmother and her mother as much as he wished he was, maybe it was because of the fact that Ian had told him not to worry and that he had got things covered, maybe it was because the last thing he said to him was that he would take care of her, and that was something he couldn't wrap his head around, so without thinking straight, he had abruptly rushed straight back.

Minutes later, his whirlwind thoughts was interrupted by the sound of a car pulling up in-front of him. He slowly opened his eyes and lowered his head down, and as he noticed that it was Cecelia's car, his heart began to race.

He watched as she quickly pushed open the car door and stepped out, before glancing over at him with an insanely astounded and shocked expression, in disbelief that he was standing right in-front of her. After a short while of taking in his presence, she slowly softened her face before walking over to hug him.