➸ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 24: for the better

chapter 24 ; for the better

✧༝┉┉┉┉˚*❋ ❋ ❋*˚┉┉┉┉༝✧

TECHNOBLADE

Eyes snapping open, he sees himself still laying down at the bridge, looking up at Connor and Schlatt.

"So what did God say?" Connor immediately inquires, eagerly leaning into Techno before retrieving a harsh nudge from Schlatt.

"Hey, dumbass," He hisses, "That doesn't help."

"Oh, right, uh- Sorry, I forgot," He chuckles nervously, "Old habits die hard. No need to tell us anything if you don't want to, Techno."

Techno sits up, blinking as his mind settles back into reality, diffusing between what was all in his head and what is real.

Whatever thoughts he was debating about before has now merged into one goal. He smiles at them, before opening his mouth.

"Ha," He scoffs, "Of course I'll stick with you. You saved my life, even after everything that happened. I know I can trust you guys."

Connor claps enthusiastically, and Schlatt throws a victorious fist in the air.

Technoblade's allows his gaze to settle on the view from the bridge, spacing out at nothing in particular as his expression returns neutral.

His mind whizzes with thoughts; something he's never felt himself experience before, but he's not complaining.

Going solo is a pretty tempting route, and it would make it easier for me to get through to the final three considering I won't have to worry about protecting anyone other than myself.

But judging by the way this game is playing out, I don't see that being a good path I should take. Like God had said, this game is also about alliances, and while going solo doesn't necessarily guarantee me a disadvantage too serious, there are better ways to go at it.

If I want to survive to the finals, I have to get through with an alliance of my own first. Otherwise, I'll be an easy target. I want to make sure I find my victims, not be found first—

"—And then we'll be able to get to top three, because I'm the smart business man and the only person here who knows how to pull off a cool rescue plan."

He blinks, and Schlatt is looking at him with a partially-joking face.

"I don't think he was listening," Connor says after a minute, and Schlatt just frowns, rolling his eyes.

"Uh, sorry," Techno shakes his head and gets up, and the other boys do the same, "How do we get to top three again?"

"We stick together, hide, camp out, whatever. We wait out for the others to fight each other out until there's probably one other person. Then we ambush the fourth player, leaving us three to battle it out."

"What about the 'cool rescue plan' part?"

"That just made me sound smarter. There is no cool rescue plan."

Techno raises both his hands, shaking his head at this. "Okay, whatever. That is a mortifyingly amateur plan anyway."

"Okay, fine then," Connor says, "We'll keep in the cool rescue plan."

"Heh? No, no, no," Technoblade waves him off, taking a step back as he shoots them a dissatisfied glare, "I mean, that sounds even worse worse. But I meant the hiding part. What do you think we are, hyenas? No, we're humans. Humans capable of wielding a sword and shield."