➸ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 35: that's how I exploded

✧༝┉┉┉┉˚*❋ ❋ ❋*˚┉┉┉┉༝✧

DIARY USER 9 — RYAN

A week has passed of Ryan staying with Ty in his house. During this time, the window to Ty's bedroom had been repaired. As for progress — there wasn't much made. In fact, things had been a little too quiet since he had stayed with Ty. Too quiet.
It's about 6:00pm, and the two boys are playing Portal 2 on Ty's console on his bed.

"5 more minutes!" Ty's mother calls from outside the room. "Make sure you're ready!"

Ty looks down, taking his eyes off the screen to instead have another look at his outfit. He's wearing a casual shirt, tracksuit jacket and dress pants.

"This is fine for a restaurant, right?" He mumbles, still looking down. Tonight, Ty and his family were planning on going out for the night.

But Ryan doesn't respond, his sight is glued to nothing in particular. Ty gives him a worried glance, waving his hand in front of him.

"Hey, dude. You okay?"

Ryan blinks, shaking his head. "Oh, yeah. I'm good, don't worry."

"You kinda just zoned out there for a sec," Ty frowns, pausing the video game. "If you don't wanna play, you can just tell me. Actually, I'm starting to get bored too - we've been playing for hours!"

Ryan chuckles a little. "Well when you're in the middle of the Hunger Games, video games can never not be fun."

"Well, I have to leave soon anyway," Ty says, getting up from the bed. "Remember, you can do anything as long as if you don't make too big of a mess. We have 2-minute noodles in the cupboard, and we'll be coming back maybe in 2-3 hours. Make sure you're inside by then."

The etching smile on Ryan's face slowly contracts, morphing into a frown. There's actually something he's been meaning to tell him for a while, and tonight is probably the best chance. Ryan swallows back the anxiety piling up in his throat.

"Actually, about that..."

Ty tilts his head. "Yeah?"

Ryan breathes out. "I've been thinking.. It's time for me to go."

"Good one," Ty laughs, but quiets down after realising that Ryan's not joking. "... Wait, you're serious?"

He nods.

"But why?! We've been doing just fine here! Nobody has tried to kill us!"

"Exactly! That's the point!" Ryan puts down his controller, shooting him a sombre glare. "Absolutely nothing has happened — not on my side, anyway. I mean, don't you find it a little suspicious how nobody is coming after me? Besides, it's only a matter of time before your mom finds out about me being here. I can't stay here forever, Ty."

Ty falls silent, left speechless against his argument. Ryan glances back at the door, and then lowers his voice down a little as he speaks softly.
"I think it's best - for the both of us - if I left tonight."

The boy's eyes grow, his body shifting rigid in disbelief. "Tonight? B-But.. Your injuries..—"

"No, look," Ryan says, lifting up the grey shirt he's wearing that Ty lent him, "I'm almost fully healed now, see? It's gonna leave a scar, but for the record I'm okay. I'm in good enough condition to fight."

The word slides uneasily off his tongue. Fight. He dreads ever doing it, but he knows that sooner or later it's going to happen.

Ty doesn't say anything. Putting a hand down, Ryan pushes himself up from the bed, inching closer to Ty as he puts both his hands on his shoulders.