║ AFTER, PT 1 ║

[ play music all through for better effect ]

Am I dead? For real this time?

"No."

His eyes snap open. He's lying in the middle of a large podium with a golden-silver crown symbol. In front of him is God.

"The gun had only one bullet, idot." God frowns from behind his mask. "I can't believe you were about to kill yourself, though."

Techno brushes his hair out his face, feeling disconnected and aloof from reality. Well, assuming this is reality. Is it another one of those 'encounters'?
What just happened? Why did everything go white?

He tugs onto God's sleeve, stumbling up. "G-God? What happened?"

God doesn't say anything; instead, a prideful, gleaming grin curves along his face — a smile big enough to be seen through the mask.
"You've won."

He feels his own heart stop beating.

God smiles at his shock, elaborating. "You won Mirai SMP. You did it, Technoblade. You managed to out-last 14 other people. And now you're going to become God!"

His words are intertwined with a sense of relief and excitement — like as if he'd been waiting a billion years for this moment.
He shakes his head, slowly stepping back as his thoughts and memories recollect.

That's right. He won.

"No." Techno murmurs. "No... No, this can't be happening."

He remembers it all.
He remembers killing them.
Killing them.

Who in their right mind would murder another human being without a shred of sympathy? Me. I did. And I can't stand knowing that I did. What happened to me? What have I become? I've killed people.
But at what cost? What was the cost in going through all of that? To break my humanity; to tear down my morality; all for what? Eternal misery?

Thin linings of tears start to leak out from his eyes and down his cheeks, and a sudden burst of fury and terror surges through him; he grabs God by the shoulders, leaning close, shrieking with urgency as saliva sprays onto God's mask:

"DON'T LET ME BE GOD. I DON'T WANT TO BE GOD, I DON'T WANT TO BE GOD ANYMORE PLEASE DON'T LET ME—!!"

God pushes him off forcefully, taken slightly aback at his outburst. "Techno, calm yourself. Isn't this what you wanted?"

Isn't this what I wanted...?
What kind of question is that?

"Could I have brung them back?" Techno spits. "Could I? Can I?"

God bites his lip. Techno knows the answer already.

"Then I don't want it."

If he can't bring them back — if he can't bring his friends back — then he doesn't want it.

He clenches his fist, seething from gritted teeth as he argues against God. "If I can't bring them back, then I don't want it. I don't want to be God. There's no point to being God!!"

And as he shouts, he cries. He sobs for the fallen as he cries out for mercy — all the while God remains silent against his pleas. He's scared. He's scared of what's to come.

"Y-Y-You don't understand, God!!" his voice wavers violently, breaking. "I— I can't be God. I can't be. I'd rather die. I'd rather die than become God."