➸ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 39: operation: technoplane

✧༝┉┉┉┉˚*❋ ❋ ❋*˚┉┉┉┉༝✧

NUMBER 9 — RYAN

"I still can't believe you really followed me out here."

Ryan's unsure whether he should feel relieved or terrified. It's morning, and the two boys are venturing out through the forests. Ryan's wearing his usual blue, short-sleeved hood with a black longe-sleeved T-Shirt underneath, whilst carrying a backpack slung over his shoulder; and Ty's wearing a pink hoodie with a white bandana tied around his head.

"Well I had to. You left your phone at my apartment!" he exclaims half-heartedly. "Isn't your phone kinda your lifeline in this game?"

"Well.. Yeah," Ryan admits, "but you didn't have to choose to follow me even after giving it back."

"I had to walk a long way from home, you know. No way I'd go back. I'd be lost."

Something about this snaps something inside Ryan's mind — grinding a little on his nerves. He likes Ty. He likes Ty a little too much — and he wants to protect him. He wants him to be as safe as he can — and he can't afford to lose another close friend. Not by his own hands.

"What about your parents?" he feels his own voice crack as he pleads. "Or your friends? They'd be worried if they found out you were gone. What if you never come back?"

The idea breaks him knowing that Ty may not even come out of this alive. He has to go back. He needs to go back.
He needs to get his head out of the god damn clouds and realise what kind of situation he's getting himself into right now.

"No, no, it's all fine!" Ty raises his arms in reassurance. "I told my mum I'd be staying over at a friends for a few nights. As for Tommy, I told him I was gonna be busy for the next few days. But it won't matter because I'll come back to them any—"

Ryan suddenly whips around, grabbing Ty by both of the shoulders as he snaps with a violent ferocity.

"Do you even know what's coming out your mouth, kid?" He yells at him, "you just dragged yourself into a living hellhole with an almost guaranteed certainty of death. These people I'm up against aren't just normal people. They're complete psychopaths. Just because you're not in the game won't give them any less of a justified reason to not slit your fucking throat open!"

Saliva sprays onto Ty's face as he hisses at him — and his voice trails off, after seeing Ty's frozen, petrified expression. The corners of his eyes begin to gloss, and a solemn, single tear rolls down his face. Ryan stops. He lets go, backing away slowly as he already regrets himself for lashing out.

He didn't mean it. To hurt him.

Maybe his overprotectiveness was something that came out of failing to keep Altrive alive. Maybe that's why he's so worried for him.

"I'm sorry.." Ty whispers.

"No, I'm sorry." Ryan quickly apologises. "I'm sorry, Ty, for dragging you into this. Everything.. Everything was my fault, not yours. I should have just ran away from the hospital when I had the chance."

"Don't be sorry!" Ty cries, tugging onto his wrist. "You're one of the best things that has ever happened to me! I've always lived a really.. Well. Boring and normal life. You're only a few years older than me — I can't even imagine how it's like for someone like you to be competing in a game of Life-and-death."

He lowers his voice. "Besides, having a friend to talk with in real life... It's nice."

This just makes Ryan feel only even worse. He looks down, trying to think of something to change the topic. It doesn't seem like Ty's willing on going back any time soon.