#96 He Teaches You How To Play His Instrument

Calum: The day off went by slow and quiet, spending some alone time with Calum while he practiced a few songs on his bass, the other boys all doing their own thing. It was winter and the window carried in a cold smell from the snow outside. You were keeping busy with catching up on some reading, when you got up to close the window as you witnessed the goose bumps come alive on your skin. Calum’s eyes followed you. “Are you cold?” He asked when you slammed the window shut. You nodded and got out one of his sweater and put it on. “Come here.” You did as he said so, walking over to him. He let you sit on his lap, placing the instrument in front of you. “You wanna learn some chords?” A sweet smile playing on his lips. You thought about it. You weren’t all that musical, but it was a nice way to spend quality time. “Sure. Teach me, Mr. Hood.” “You pluck the strings with your index and your middle finger.” He took your hand placing them on the strings of some chord he mumbled but you just looked at him. The passion for this music was readable in his eyes. “When plucking try not to move your wrist.” He said, switching your fingers to a different chord. “Ow.” “Your hands are too small for this.” Calum figured, laughing as he did so. “Just keep them on that chord then.” He still kept his fingers on yours, pressing down the strings as he took your other hand and put your 2 fingers on the same strings that were pressed down. “Now pluck those strings, first with your index finger and now the middle finger. You did as told, letting a deep sound escape from it. You thought you did pretty good until you saw Calum’s face. He let out a laugh. “That sounded horrible. I’m sorry.” He kissed your nose. “I have a better idea. How about you keep playing and I just sit here and keep you warm?” You pressed a kiss against his neck. “Ok.” He smiled down at you.

Ashton: “You gotta see my new drum kit!” He had said when he installed it. It wasn’t even your choice to go and see it, Ashton took you by the hand and dragged you into the music room. It stood there in the spotlights, his pride and joy all in black with golden edges. It was still unused and untouched, the toms still smooth and no markings on the bass drum to say it was Ash’s. You touched the metal and hit the crash cymbal letting the sound fill the room. You sat behind it as your eyes flickered over to Ashton who was making his way over to you. “You look good behind the drums.” He complimented. Handing you a pair of sticks he thought would suit you, he started lecturing. “I’m going to teach you a basic, alright?” He told you, adjusting his glasses. “You hit this cymbal in a rhythm of 4 for 4 sets. Then you hit the kick every 1 and 3 okay?” He counted down for you to start. As you did so, Ashton counted the sets out loud so you wouldn’t get confused. “That was really good! Now you do the same but hit the snare with the other stick every 2 and 4 okay? This is tricky.” He crouched down next to you, counting down again and you began. In full concentration you focused on your hand movements and your foot as well hitting the kick at the right time of Ashton’s counting. Ashton smiled bright. “You’re a natural!” You looked down at him glowing at his compliment. “You could be a teacher, Ash.” “Only if you’ll be my star student.” As you stood up he took his favorite pair of sticks and showed you his energy that was freed whenever he was dedicated to his drums.

Luke: You were lying on your stomach on the hotel room bed while the guys were out for a bit. Luke left his acoustic guitar there, leaving it right in front of you. You traced the outlining of it with your finger, going over the little markings on the side that spelled your initials. Luke had carved them in so that whenever he’d look down on his guitar, he’d think of you. Your finger went over the strings, strumming them with no audible chord in mind. You picked it up in your boredom, and put your fingers so you’d get an A chord that Luke had taught you before. Since there was no song that only had an A chord in it, you kept strumming it in different ways so you’d be kept busy. Until finally you saw Luke come in, you pouted at him. “Oooh, I see someone’s in need of learning a different chord?” He jumped on the bed, lied down in front of you and tapped your index finger. “This one goes here.” Now tapping a string on the fret board. “This little piggy goes here.” Tapping your middle finger on yet another string. “And this one..” Taking your ring finger, placing it on the right spot. “Goes here. Now strum.” You let your other hand glide over the strings to give it a whole different sound. “And that’s the G.” He looked up at you with a grin.

Michael: It was late out, the fire in the backyard being the only source of light and warmth, you sat there with a bunch of friends, jamming. There were a couple playing the guitar and others sang. With a knot in your stomach you got yourself a drink to get away from these talented people. Standing in the kitchen, pouring the drink you felt Michael come up to you. “Are you enjoying yourself?” “Yeah, I am thanks.” You replied to your friend. Taking a sip you let out a sigh through your nose. “Are you jamming with us?” Mikey asked, carrying his guitar with one hand, popping his snapback onto his head with the other. “No, I think I’m just going home. I can’t sing or even play the guitar so…” Your voice fell as well as Michael’s face did. He told his friends to go and jam without him leaving Michael behind with you. “I don’t want you to feel left out, I can teach you if you want?” You laughed once. “I’m not going to be a pro with one lesson, Mike.” “No but it’ll be fun.” He reassured. Taking place a little further from the group, he placed his guitar in your hands and placed your hands correctly. As Michael kept explaining what to do next after you did what he said, you kept repeating the 3 chords he just taught you. “This sounds awful!” You commented, still strumming the guitar. “You’ll get better at it with more practice. If you want, you can come over to my house a few times a week and I can teach you this.” Your eyes glimmered as they looked into Michael’s eyes, you could see the light of the fire reflecting in his eyes. “I would like that.” You kept practicing for the rest of the evening, feeling Michael move closer to you, your arms touching and his hands sometimes adjusting yours.