Around the campfire- Tododeku sickfic pt. 1

Class 1-A and 1-B get pulled out on camping trip to loosen up the tension between them and allow them to get closer.
Todoroki Shoto has his fathers voice drilled within his mind, and comes along on the trip despite feeling unwell. He won't allow himself to be weak again.

_________________

Never slack off, never lose focus. Always perform your best, always stay on track.
These were the words that had drilled into Shoto Todorokis mind ever since he was a child and his quirk had first manifested. His father had always been a strong-witted and austere man, but he rarely put those qualities to any good use.

In Enji Todorokis imagined world, things such as taking breaks and being tired or unwell didn't exist. Those things were merely a factor to measure someone's weakness, measure their worthiness to be or become a hero. Shoto didn't want to be weak and due to his father, he didn't ever have the freedom to be.

As he'd grown up into the teenager he was today, he had steadily detached himself more and more from his said father, leaving bits of pieces of his merciless policy and strict regime behind in the past.

Yet, certain aspects of Endeavours cold regulations were still entrained within his children, Shoto most of them all.
He was the correct formula of a child, ice and fire power intertwined just the way his father had attempted to create for years.
Yet, that's all he was, a formula done correctly. A child? No, he was property of Endeavour. At least, he was.

Which is why, he was currently trailing after his classmates as they climbed up a slack, muddy mountainside. And he was pulling through, even though he was well aware of the fact that he was suffering from a fever. In fact, he had been since the night before their 'relationship forming quest'.

Aizawa hadnt given them a lot of information other than the fact that they were going hiking for a couple of days, and that everyone's attendance was anticipated (unless they had an extremely good reason not to come, of course).
'To strengthen the bonds between the students or whatever' he'd said, and Shoto assumed it wasn't the worst scheme. However, it couldn't have occurred at a more unfortunate time for the young Todoroki.

It surely hadn't been Aizawas idea, because he didn't seem particularly pleased about being dragged into the forest alongside two classes of uncouth youth. He looked just about as ready to go to bed as Shoto himself.

On the other hand, Present Mic was making up for the homeroom teachers lack of enthusiasm with his own hyper antics. He was shouting out directions, interacting with each individual student and singing his so called 'hiking songs' along the way.
He'd tried to encourage the entourage of teenagers to join him, but all he got out of that was annoyed groans and an occasional pebble thrown at the back of his head.

"These songs are no good to keep our motivation high! What about Madonna?" Aoyama suggested, turning to his fellow students for support.

"Ah, I like Madonna!" Tsunotori commented sweetly and Aoyama practically twirled his way over to the exchange students side. Was this bonding? Probably.

Todoroki couldn't bring himself to do anything but block out their chirring voices as Present Mic joined in their singalong of 'material girl'.

Now, Shoto wasn't about to shame the man for having a 'not so pleasant' voice to listen to, because he was only trying to lift the spirits of the students. It was a kind gesture, he supposed. And the results were in fact 'bonding', assumably..

However, his teachers booming voice was only feeding into Todorokis gradually worsening headache, gnawing through his sinuses and manifesting itself by his temples.
The pain had been present from the second he woke up in the morning, lingering behind his eyes and waiting maliciously to take action. It wasn't until now that it had decided to blow out..

No one had seemed to take notice of his prevalent discomfort though. No one BUT Izuku Midoriya, of course.

Izuku had always been so extremely attentive and empathetic, it was one of the things Shoto admired most about him. 
The green-haired boy had changed his entire perspective on relationships and friendships ever since the sports festival.

He'd taught him that the world was more than just a fight for power; it was filled with genuine people with feelings that were allowed to be expressed and displayed. A family wasn't supposed to be a hierarchy, as a child you weren't meant to be reduced to a tool.

Midoriya was teaching him what it was like to live a normal life, like a normal teenager, and he was making him feel things he'd never felt before in his traumatic life.
Izuku made him flustered in a way he hadn't ever been before in his life, made his heart race in a way that wasn't caused by fear of stress.
It was something else, something he couldn't quite explain.

With all these aspects of their growing amity came the realization that Izuku was getting extremely talented at perceiving whenever something was amiss.
It didn't matter how well Shoto had become at hiding his emotions, packing his feelings back in the trunk of his mind. Izuku always seemed to notice sooner or later.

As they walked up the steep hill, Todorokis chest felt constricted like the elastic cuff of a pajama pant. His stamina was far from what it usually was; he was struggling to breathe properly and sweat was pouring down his back, causing his suit to stick uncomfortably to his warm skin.

Midoriya was walking beside him, keeping  nothing more than a couple feet away from him the entire hike. He was respectful of the fact that Shoto displayed a need to be by himself, yet his concern was deeply reflected within his observant eyes.

As they were reaching the top of the hill, the indisposed teenager found himself needing to take a break. He braced himself with his hands upon his thighs, breathing heavily through his mouth as he ignored the way the rest of the people continued on without him.

He stared at the dusty ground, a bead of sweat trickling off the tip of his nose as his vision became momentarily blurred.
A pair of familiar red shoes stepped into his line of sight, and he lifted his gaze to meet Midoriyas troubled expression.

"Shoto.." he spoke up, voice uncertain and laced with worry and care. It made Todorokis heart ache, but not in a particularly painful way. "Are you okay?"

The boy straightened himself up, wiping the sweat off his face with the back of his sleeve as he nodded his head leisurely.
"I'm fine" he stated, but his friend seemed nowhere near convinced.

"Are you sure? You seem worn out.. are you struggling to breathe?"

The genuine care in Izukus voice caused Todorokis heart to clench uncomfortably, but he quickly shook his head no to dismiss his question.

"I said I'm fine" Shoto repeated, more firmly this time now that he had successfully caught his breath. He didn't mean to sound rude, he really didn't.  "Let's just get to the camp or whatever place they're taking us to, yeah?"

Izuku seemed to hesitate, but after only a brief moment he sighed in defeat. He knew how stubborn Shoto was, there was no use in fighting him on the matter. They were in the middle of nowhere anyways.

"Alright.."

Izuku turned to continue up the path to the top, and Shoto sucked in a deep breath before following after.
They were lagging behind the rest, but the ailing boy really couldn't find any reason to care. The singing was hushed by the distance, and if he was to admit it, it felt like quite a blessing.

Nonetheless, he could feel dread wash over him as he felt his body deteriorating.
This was going to be a long trip

______________

Alright this is a short first chapter, but I'm struggling with a bit of a writers block atm!
Last chapter of Kiribaku sickfic will eventually be up too..

What do you think about continuing it with Bakugo being the sick one and Kiri caretaker?
Or would you like to see Bakugo sick with another caretaker?
I'd love to hear your opinions!