Chapter 10 : For Hire

Ryan promised me that he'll come by this morning to fetch me and help me get inside the firm. I've worked my ass real hard for two months and I'm going to get fired.

Absolute bullshit.

Truth to be told, I rarely take a leave. Including yesterday's, all in all, it's only six absents. It's a fact that I take leaves whenever I feel like it, but I never did it on a daily basis. That's why there's no reason for them to suddenly fire me.

I stand outside the porch with my best office attire as I wait for Ryan. A few minutes later, his car stopped by and I hurriedly hopped in. "Are you sure about this?" Ryan asked.

"My convincing skills are superb. They'll take me in, just watch and learn." I winked at him and he shook his head in disbelief.

=====

"What? Sir, please! You can't just fire me like that!" I complained. Apparently, he fired me because of my absents.

"I just did." He fixes his eyeglasses firmly. I stood inside his office with a huge frown plastered on my face. Suddenly, he grabbed a paper and passed it onto me. "I can recommend some companies that are hiring."

My pupils dilated when I saw the amount of salary for applying a secretary which was printed on the paper. My eyes immediately scanned for the name of the company and fury enveloped my entire body.

"He told you to fire me, didn't he?" I clenched my jaw.

"Who are you talking about?" My boss acted innocent but his nervous eyes gave it away.

Scoffing, I crumpled the paper in my hand. "Tell him, he can fuck off." The words came out of my mouth involuntarily but I know that there's no taking back.

As disrespectful as it is, I throw the ball of paper on his desk and stormed out of his office. Some of my former colleagues were chattering in low voices as soon as I passed by them. To avoid any unnecessary collisions, I ignored them with all my might.

The moment I stepped out of the building, I messaged Ryan that I'm going out and didn't wait for his reply. I searched for a few nearby companies that are currently hiring and that is what I did all day long.

But every time I mention my name, their eyes fidget around and then they will suddenly tell me that the position is already filled up by someone else. Since no other firms are accepting me, I tried applying at convenience stores and restaurants as a cashier but none of them accepts my application. Holding a cup of lemon juice in my hand, I fervently sipped from its straw as I sat on a bench to take a time off from walking.

I should've brought my car.

I'm already an adult and it would be very embarrassing if I will depend on my parents when they're still paying for Sean and Serene's needs. I should immediately get a job. I have food, electricity, and water bills to pay. My savings will probably not last for another month.

Sighing at my disappointed self, I stood up and was ready to go on my mission again when a black car stopped right in front of me. I waited for someone to get out with an arched eyebrow.

A slim leg and a foot wearing a red heel came into view and I was perplexed on who the hell it might be. As soon as the whole figure comes out, I suddenly got humiliated with my existence. "Excuse me. You're Ms. Austin, right?" The woman with a very slender physique, long black hair, bright red lips and wears a business attire that perfectly showcases her curves, asked.

"Yes. Do I know you?" I forced a smile.

"I'm Cami McQuiod." She reaches out for my hand and I shake it briefly. I'm sure that I heard her name before but it got lost somewhere in my brain. "You're looking for a job, aren't you?"

"How did you know?" I asked back and her eyes darted onto my shoulder bag which is not closed since my copies of my resumes won't fit in. "Oh, yeah. Mind if I ask why?"

"Our company is currently hiring, maybe you would want to apply?" I closed my eyes tightly at those magical words that she mentioned.

"Oh my goodness, thanks. I've been working my ass off the entire day," I laughed. "By the way, are you the boss?" She looks like one so I assumed.

"You could say that." She chuckled lightly. "Let's go?"

"Uhm, where?"

"To our company." She smiled sweetly before gesturing for me to ride inside the car. I sheepishly nodded before getting in and was deeply ashamed of how ugly I looked next to Ms. Cami.

Despite her rugged look, it seems like she is a nice person based on the way she talks and moves.

The awkward car ride lasted for about twenty minutes but instead of arriving in front of an enormous establishment, all I can see was a small coffee shop. I slowly turned my head on Ms. Cami and asked her, "I thought we're going to your company?"

"You'll talk to your soon-to-be boss here. He is waiting inside." She smiled sweetly at me and I'm beginning to doubt if this is all just a scam or something. "Go on, don't worry it's a decent job." She joked and I forced a laugh.

I thought she's the one who owns the company.

All alone, I entered the coffee shop and I was greeted by the emptiness of the shop. Where is everybody? I thought to myself. Then a young man asked for my name and as soon as I answered his question, he guided me onto a reserved table.

"Oh, uhm, where's the person who reserved this table?" The moment I sat on the comfy chair, I asked the guy.

"I think he went to the toilet." He informed and pointed at the restroom area from a distance behind me.

"Okay, thanks." I beamed and after that, he left. Seeing that I still have time to fix myself, I placed a neat copy of my resume on the table with a few of my achievements and qualifications for any job available. I also finger-combed my hear and put on a light blush and lipstick as a retouch.

Waiting patiently for the unknown person who is willing to hire someone like me, I patiently waited on the chair with a proper posture and facial expression. I have to show him that I can do whatever job he's going to give me.

Gradually, a man sat on the chair in front of me. I stood up and I was about to reach for his hand to greet him but my face immediately fell. That's why the name Cami McQuiod seems familiar.

Short term memory sucks.

"Please have a seat, Elise," Jimin smirked and I automatically rolled my eyeballs.

"You were the one who asked DIS to dismiss me, right?" I scoffed. "Now, you want to hire me?"

"It's because they realized how you've been slacking the past few days. At the same time, I needed a new secretary since Cami is moving into a different department." Jimin hands out a folder and a pen.

"What's that?" I questioned.

"A contract." He answered and added how much the salary would be if I will take the job. I gulped at the mention of the amount since it could almost feed my entire family for five months.

"No way," I muttered in bewilderment.

"Yes way," He contradicts. Moving the contract closer towards me, I started contemplating if I should sign or not. He probably knows that I need the money and that I'm easily blinded by it.

Holding the pen tightly while I stare at my name below the contract, I think about it thoroughly. I've been busting my ass off the entire day only to fall back to the main cause why I'm currently jobless.

He's probably doing this to play with me. This is all just a part of his scheme and he's underestimating me. Realizing his true motives, I smirked at him before writing my signature above my name.

"Welcome to the company, Ms. Austin." He stood up and reached for my hand.

I did the same with an innocent beam while batting my eyes. "Game on, Mr. Park."

If he thinks that he'll make my life a living catastrophe that easily, I'll prove him wrong.