Chapter 30 : Promise

"So, you two met each other at a public pool?" Mrs. Davis asked. So far, our so-called office tour drastically changed into a personal interview. Mr. Davis, on the other hand, had to go early for some conference meeting at their own company. I've been told that they are one of the most prestigious automobile parts manufacturers in California.

"Yeah, sorta." I laughed light-heartedly. After passing by the Quality Control Department, she asks me to join her for a snack at the company's cafeteria. We got our own table, and she insisted that she should pay for the soda and baked mac. In return, I mumbled a simple thanks.

"Ah, don't mention it." Her eyes crinkle as she smiles. "I'm going, to be honest with you..."

After taking a sip from my soda, I suddenly feel nervous because of her choice of words. "Sure, uhm, what is it?"

"Ina is my dearest friend since high school and we practically promised ourselves to marry our kids one day," She laughed as if she's thinking of it as a ridiculous thought. I silently choke on my own saliva as I assume where this conversation is heading. She must've noticed how my face fell after her statement. "Oh, don't worry. I'm not that drama antagonist who forces their child to marry a certain person despite the other party already having a lover." Internally, you breathe a sigh of relief, hearing her reassuring words.

"I've watched Jimin grow too, and it's nice that he ended up with someone as good as you. Honestly, you remind me of my daughter." This time as she stretches her lips for a smile, it didn't reach her eyes. A smile of sadness, perhaps, but I'm not assuming anything.

"No, I bet she's beautiful... unlike me." Muttering the last two words to myself, I awkwardly take another sip from my drink after delivering my short piece. All she answered was a nod with that same and worrying beam on her face. 

"Oh, go ahead and eat. You must be starving after your very informing tour."

=====

The knock on my door disturbed me from what seems like endless paperwork. "Come in!" I announced.

Jimin peeked from the door, "Aren't you going home?" He fully stepped inside the room, and his presence got me checking my wristwatch. It's time for me to go home, but all these papers in my hands are due tomorrow.

"I'll just take the cab," I gave him a weary beam. I heard him sigh as he pushes his hands down the table where I'm working at.

"Nope, I'll help you. Besides, I'm the reason why you're cramming here." He boastfully smirked at me, and I just snarled at him. Is every CEO like this? They pass down all their responsibilities to their assistants?

"Correction, some of our responsibilities," He clarified. Oops, did I say that out loud? "We still do all the frustrating stuff like not kicking a board member's ass for being irrational."

Sometimes, I missed the young Jimin. I know that it has only been two years, but he matured up so fast. His behavior and mindset abruptly changed over the years. "Also, we handle assistants who complain too much about work." He leaned his face towards me, and I immediately gave him a small peck on his lips.

Jimin stayed true to his works, so he really did help me with the rest of the papers on my desk. After working for a couple more minutes, his driver sent us to a restaurant, and there we had a peaceful dinner together.

"So, aside from studying, did you do any interesting stuff while I was gone?" He asked, clasping his hands together.

I curtly nod at his inquisition. "Two years is a long period of time; of course, I did." I grinned before putting a chunk of meat inside my mouth. My answer seemed to have added fuel to his curiosity.

"I'm listening," He looked at me intensely, and it kind of makes me panic.

"I tried applying as a mathematics tutor for primary school students for experience and also for extra income," I started, and he looked impressed. "Lana and I also did bar hopping one time in La Mirada." Just as I expected, his face dropped because of my last statement.

"Your parents allowed you?" He asked, and I laughed at his obvious question.

"For Pete's Sake, I'm almost twenty-three." I grimaced at him, and he didn't like it.

"Almost," He emphasized, and I still don't get his point. "Tell me you at least had Ryan to accompany you both?" I shake my head no to his question.

"Now, you like Ryan?" I snorted.

"No. But I think it would be better if someone is there to protect you." He fiddled his fingers with his utensils and looked away from my eyes.

"Why? You think I can't handle myself?"

"No, I know you can. Men near you are who I don't trust."

"But Taehyung allowed Lana to go off alone at that time. He trusts her." Funny how he and I are talking about trust right now when I shattered his years ago. This conversation is undoubtedly awkward and uncomfortable for me, but I got to live with it.

"Unless you have amazing karate skills, but unfortunately, all you do is spill chocolate shake on someone's car and shiver in fear." His lips twitched on the side.

"Did Hoseok tell you that?" I gasped after he nodded with a genuine smile. "Sure, 'cause he told me something too."

"And that is?"

"When are you going to release 'Promise' on iTunes and Spotify because I'll stream it?" His face looked so shocked as ever. "He told me you wrote that song, so when?"

"Oh please, I'm not doing this." He laughed the topic off.

"Don't you sing anymore?"

"Occasionally," He shrugged his shoulders.

"This is an occasion; you should sing." I leaned back on my seat and crossed my arms as I wait for him to open up his angelic vocal cords.

"There's nothing to celebrate, Elise. And I'm not singing." He firmly stated. From then on, I already knew that there's no way that I'm going to win this argument and make him sing.

"Pity," I frowned.

"When I feel like it, I'll just whisper the song to your ears," He took a deep breath.

"I'll hold onto that. Promise?" I held out my pinky finger. By the looks of his face, he finds it childish. "No pun intended, Mr. Park. Just making deals."

Eventually, he gave up and held out his finger to interlock with mine. "Promise," He smiled.

=====

Jimin wanted me to stay at his place, but I got a message from Yoongi that we'll talk at my house. When I came home, he's lying on the couch, already asleep. I must've made him wait for too long—another thing to add to my long list of debts to him. After neatly placing a blanket to protect him from the cold, I climb up to my room and get dressed.

Once I laid down on my bed and turned off my night lamp, my phone rings, and it's a call from Ryan. "Hey, what's up?" I suppress my yawn.

"I hope I didn't disturb you or anything," He said through the other line.

"Oh, no. I just got back from work. What's going on?"

"Ria's back home, and I want to ask if you can please talk some sense to her tomorrow?" He pleaded. "She won't talk to my parents and would only speak a word to me if she needs water."

"Yeah, sure. I will."

"Thanks, Elise."

"No problem. Anything for you, two." With that, I let Ryan hang up the call. Lying my head down on my soft pillow, I close my eyes with ease, knowing that Ria is back, that my friend is back. All I have to do is visit her tomorrow and make sure she's doing alright.