The One That Got Away

Somehow my friends convinced me to sing and play my guitar at Amy's Caffe, our usual hang out spot. They where having an event for young artists to show the town their talent and somehow I agreed to embarrass myself on stage.
It was around 8:30pm and it was my turn. I was introduced by Mrs. Lee's daughter Anna and I stepped up and took a seat on the stool. I stared out at the crowd of people; family, friends, and one boy I didn't think Id ever see again. I cleared my throat and looked down at my guitar to start the first chord.
"Summer after high school when we first met, we'd make out in your mustang to Radiohead and on my 18th birthday, we got matching tattoos"
I could see one of my friends, Cathy looking at me understanding the meaning behind the lyrics.
"We used to steal your parents liquor and climb to the roof, talk about our future like we had a clue, never thought that one day I'd be loosing you"
I paused for a second, took a breath and cleared my mind.
"In another life~ I would be yours, we'd keep all our promises, be us against the world
In another life~ I would make you stay so I don't have to say you were the one that got away, the one that got away"
The crowd began to hum with me a little interlude part.
"I was June and you were my Johnny Cash, never one without the other, we made a pact, sometimes when I miss you, I put those records on"
"Someone said that you had your tattoo removed, saw you down town, singing the blues, its time to face the music, Im no longer your muse"
Someone else sang that part and I knew who.
"But in another life~ I would be yours, we'd keep all our promises, be us against the world
In another life~ I would make you stay, so I don't have to say you where the one that got away, the one that got away"
The cafe sang with me "The one~ the one~ the one~ the one that got away"
"All this money can't buy me a time machine, no~
Can't replace you with a million rings, no!"
We made eye contact and the memories flooded my mind, Im sure they did to him too
He sang one last bit- "I should have told have told you what you meant to me! Whoa!"
"Cause now I pay the price..."
The cafe hushed
"In another life~ I would be yours, we'd keep all our promises, be us against the world
In another life~ I would make to stay, so I don't have to say you were the one that got away, the one that got away"
Tears filled my eyes as the cafe sang- "the one~ the one~ the one~"
"In another life" I was on the verge of letting the waterfall go "I would make you stay~ so I don't have to say you were the one that got away" My voice cracked as I let them spill "the one that got away"
Everyone clapped, he walked out of the building, tears in his eyes just as mine. I walked off stage and let my friends buy me all the desserts. His silhouette passed the door as he got away once again.