06| The firing of Severus Snape

*
          *
*
|
|
|

The remaining students of Hogwarts school stood quietly in the Great Hall in their house groups, the room around them plunged in almost-darkness safe for the murky light slanting through the many tall windows

The remaining students of Hogwarts school stood quietly in the Great Hall in their house groups, the room around them plunged in almost-darkness safe for the murky light slanting through the many tall windows. Severus Snape, the headmaster of Hogwarts school, ghosted up and down in front of them, black cloak swirling around him and the students were in pained silence, aware of the predatory gazes pinned on their faces from the Carrows. 

"Many of you are surely wondering why I have summoned you at this hour" he stated, voice crisp and they exchanged glances yet again. At least half the hall had students with bruises and cuts across their faces. "It's come to my attention that earlier today, Harry Potter has sighted in Hogsmead" the voice was sharp, his first speech of the year. Harry and the others had spent along time in the Room of Requirement, and the sun was slowly setting beyond the window, only making the room darker. Hushed whispers ran like a wave across the room at the knowledge of the boy.

"Now" he continued. "Should anyone, student or staff, attempt to aid mister Potter, they will be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their crime. Furthermore, any person found to have knowledge of these events, who fails to come forward, will be treated as equally guilty." Azalea stared at the boy hiding beside her, taking in his eyes that were lost in thought. The teachers around the room looked absolutely horrified. "

There was a haunted silence throughout the room for a long moment, only the soft crackling of the lanterns on the walls as they inflamed filled the void. 

"Now then" Snape swallowed, eyes scanning the crowd continuously. "If anyone here has any knowledge" he began to pace down the centre of the empty room, "Of mister potters movements this evening... I invite them to step forward....now" what they didn't expect, however, was the boy himself to step forward, dragging Azalea along with him. The girl hovered protectively at his side and the group had a resounding gasp of shock and horror.

"It seems, despite your exhaustive defensive strategies" he started, the door behind him swinging open somewhat dramatically. "You still have a bit of a security problem, Headmaster," he smirked as the Order Of The Pheonix entered in all their glory, ready for a fight. Azalea smiled softly up at the love of her life before falling back into line between the Weasley twins who sent her identical smirks of mischief. "I'm afraid it's quite extensive."

Fred and George slowly linked their arms with the brunette girls, somewhat protectively as they took in the scars that lined her face. 

"How dare you stand where he stood" the chosen one continued and Azalea's eyes trained down to the ground. She knew that Snape would not hurt Harry. But it must've hurt Snape to hear of his own 'betrayal' when he already felt so guilty for it. "Tell them how it happened that night! Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man that trusted you... And killed him." the anger was rising in Harry's voice. "Tell them"

The second Snape whipped his wand from his sleeve, the room gasped and retreated into the walls in shock. Minerva McGonagall was there, before anyone else. She was finally ready to stand up for her school and protect the students in it. For a long time, nothing happened but the anticipation could be tasted, building steadily in the air. Briefly, Snape had second thoughts but upon catching gazes with a slowly nodding Azalea, he stiffened his arm once more and brought his wand up proudly. He had to play his part, until the end. 

Minerva McGonagall was the first to strike, in her anger and Snape seemed shocked and horrified as he deflected a bolt of orange. More just followed in a continuing pattern and he deflected each and every one. The headmaster himself did not send even a single offensive spell in her direction, even going so far as to redirect one into the Carrows before vanishing in a swirl of a black cloak, shattering the beautiful window as he did so. There was a victorious cheer from the crowd and many of them cast their black outer robes aside as McGonagall lit the lanterns around the room.

Eagerly, Harry accepted Aazlea tightly into his arms yet again, holding her close and pressing a kiss to her forehead as McGonoagll turned to him with a proud, slightly concerned smile on her usually pursed lips.

"I believe you are here for a reason, Potter?" the woman asked softly and he smiled, nodding slightly as his mind whirled. 

"Go and get it, Harry, take Ron and Hermione." Azalea urged and he stared deeply into his girlfriend's eyes for a long pause before slamming his lips to hers in a gentle kiss. With a deep stare into her eyes, Harry was off with his best friends following and the group at large turned somewhat expectantly to the daugther of Hogwarts. As uncomfortable as she was at the sudden attention, the supportive nod from Remus Lupin encouraged her to do what had to be done.